• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
It's just my opinion, but while if o're in a large building and pets are allowed, you don't really have to mention you're gonna have a fish tank. In case sh*^$t happens, you have problem anyway, no matter if you were allowed to have a tank or not. Renting in small buildings and multifamily houses is a different story and you should talk to the landlord before installing a fish tank in an apartment. I live in a large building with 100+ apartments and even that lease says ABSOLUTELY NO PETS, almost everyone have a dog or cat.

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
How big is the tank? If it is a nano tank I wouldn't mention it. If it is a 120g AND you have a super or landlord that comes to your apt frequently, this may be an issue. If you are looking for an apartment I would try to talk to a few tenants and try to find out what is going on in the building.
What if they tell you to break down the tank or move out? (they will win it in any court)

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
How big is the tank? If it is a nano tank I wouldn't mention it. If it is a 120g AND you have a super or landlord that comes to your apt frequently, this may be an issue. If you are looking for an apartment I would try to talk to a few tenants and try to find out what is going on in the building.
What if they tell you to break down the tank or move out? (they will win it in any court)

Yeah a 120 is a big volume of weight on your floor!! Also depends on what your floors are made of

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
In a private house setting you simply have to ask the landlords permission. They probably will be concerned about weight of tank, potential water damage, cost of utilities,water bill, light bill.

in larger buildings it would be different just ask if pets are allowed and dont have any leaks!

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Learn from my mistake,I had a 90 gallon setup in my last apartment with no problems.i move into a huge 3 bedroom apartment thinking "ooh yeah that 180 gallon I have in the garage will look awesome on that wall".well long story short omy new landlord seen me and 3 of my friends carrying it up the stairs and they flipped!thousand of dollars spent on equipment for the 180 later I took a huge beating trying to sell everything I bought to end up with a 34 solana...lesson learned!!

redseamax130d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.9%
24   3   0
I'm a super at 40 e 94st in the city and I had a person living on the 13th floor of my 32 floor building with a 220 gallon tank that I loved. till his son flipped out and threw a cup at it and flooded every apartment under him up to the 8th floor. So just let the super know and pray that he like reef tanks like me. It's a big liability on you and the building. If everyone is on the same page there wont be any problems in the future.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
The point is, if you rent in owner occupied you have to sneak it in and keep it small.

I know someone with a 300 gallon in his apartment living room but he lives in a commercial apartment building, mgmt is in another town in its own office building.

Regardless of what you chose to do buy the following and you should never have a problem once you get/sneak the tank in.

Float valve to shut off RO water
Leak detection alarm

redseamax130d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.9%
24   3   0
Renters Insurance only pays out up to $500 on others damaged property. It will pay up to 75% of your property. Trust me when I say it's going to cost a lot more then $500 if you flood someone's else's apartment. Just talk with management and start small.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
As long as you paying rent the crib is yours lol. I have a 93 in my room and a 60 in the living room. Both are stable im on the first floor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: