• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Meadowlane

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I tried to build my own stand with 2x4's. Problem is, the tank is not sitting well withe stand. Front left corner got a gap of 1/16 and the back right corner got a gap of 1/8. I need help onh ow to elimintate the gaps. Ty in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 207

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
+1 2x4s are never straight i usually use a wood plane to flatten the up especially where the tank sits but it looks like youve stained it already which will make this a pain because youll have to restain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
All you ned is a cheap wood plane then, i got a 3.5 inch one at homedepot for 10 bucks and works like a dream , just be careful when your doing so, go slow and make sure to jeep testing it for a good fit

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If it was stained and sealed it shouldbt be a problem , i use polycrylic on my stands to protect them from water and have had a few spills even on a stand for my 90g which is just a frame and no warping issues , the plywood on top does add a ton of rigidity to the stand if you screw it down but imo not neccessary

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
like albano recommended, put a piece of furniture grade plywood between 2x4 and tank.
then i would remove the screws in 2x4s and shim under 2x4 till tank is sitting flat. then rescrew 2x4s. its ok if their is a paper gap here or their but i wouldn't do it with a 1/16".

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planing is an option but if wood working is not second nature for you, you might find it frustrating to level that much wood. It is doable but be prepared.

The plywood solution would be a quick solution but you need wood shims to fill any gaps between the plywood and 2 x 4's. Buy cabinet grade plywood or at least a sanded on one side plywood to ensure a nice smooth surface for the tank to sit on. You won't need many screws to secure the plywood to the top once the shims are in place. If the plywood edge is not pleasing to the eye, cover the plywood edge and plywood-2 x 4 gap with trim wood, maybe one inch wide, thickness might be only quarter inch (I forget the thickness but it is much less than"one by" wood which is 3/4 inch thick, unless you like the look of thick trim).

Meadowlane

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
yes, wood work is not my day job. That's why I've been stressed out for like 2 days now. This is my first diy stand. My plan was to put 1x6 around the tank and stand to cover the plywood and the 2x4.
I was gonna trash this stand and build a new one. The 2x4's are fairly cheap. It'll only cost me $20. Rather than having a flood in my basement and loosing my live stock. My only thing is, I might encounter the same problem again.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I read on another forum that the guy used a foam and his tank cracked after a month. That's what scares me. I'll go to home depot right now and grab a 3/4 plywood.

Foam insulation is not recommended under glass tanks with plastic trim!
The plywood should do the trick, as well as stabilize the frame...is there a 'bottom shelf' in the stand?

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
As Tony mentioned 2x4 have a curve , when installing look for the crown to be up , other wise it will warp in the wrong direction .and btw use premium lumber.

I use 4x4's and notch the corners.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: