lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I would expect you need a fitting for the bulkhead with a hose barb connection on one end (probably a one inch fitting, but you should check). Then cement the fitting to the bulkhead. That would get you the water tight seal. Also put a hose clamp on the hose after connecting.

The other option would be to hard plumb it with pvc instead of using the hose.

Slipping the hose inside the bulkhead, sounds like a flood waiting to happen.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The hose is made to fit inside the bulkhead as is. Slip it in snug and done.

You could, and i usually do, glue a short piece of 1" pvc to bulkhead and then the hose will go over the 1" pipe, instead of into the bulkhead. Then you could put a clamp, and even without clamp is a more trustworthy connection

Last edited:

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
thanks guys, the hose is tapered and has hard pvc-like end and it is just slips tight into the inside of the bulkhead. So maybe i will try if it leaks. If it does leak or drip i will just add pulmbers tape or pvc cement (although i dont want to do that route)

thx :)

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
you're going to end up with water everywhere, eventually, and probably when your not home. cement a barb in place, and connect the hose with a non metallic plastic hose clamp. the parts will cost you $5 and it will take 5 min. Why chance loosing your tank and damaging your house when you can do it right easily and cheaply?

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks bkly, but perhaps you have not loold at the pics, this is not a vinyl hose that u can use a clamp on. It is tapered with an end that fits very tight into the inside (not outside) of the bulk head. Still think it needs pvc cement?

Thx anyway

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Thanks bkly, but perhaps you have not loold at the pics, this is not a vinyl hose that u can use a clamp on. It is tapered with an end that fits very tight into the inside (not outside) of the bulk head. Still think it needs pvc cement?

Thx anyway

That overflow is meant to use pvc pipe..I wouldn't chance using the hose at all..just asking for problems if you do

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That overflow is meant to use pvc pipe..I wouldn't chance using the hose at all..just asking for problems if you do

the tip of the hose going into the bulkhead is pvc or pvc-like material. I put the link to the hose so everyone would have a look first then tell his expert opinion. It is not a braided nylon hose or vinyl. the part that slips inside the bulk head is pvc and feels like pvc at least to me.

hope this clarifies.
ur of the hose again in case ppl missed it

http://www.marineandreef.com/CPR_Aquatic_Blue_Wet_Dry_Connection_Hose_4_ft_p/rcpr90004.htm

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
hard PVC glue/cement, on flexible hose is not a good idea. Glue a piece of pipe into bulkhead and clamp the hose onto it. The end of the hose will no likey cleaner, or primer, of cement. At least not any bulkhead hoses i'v seen. Bulkheads even get a lil mushy with these solvents, much more than reg schedule 40, and take twice as long to dry.
With that said have had hoses slipped into bulkheads, no glue, no pipe, for decades with zero issues.

Last edited:

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The meat - thanks for ur input that is what i was thinking as well. Dont mean to bash what other people have advised. But the tapered end of the hose slips tightly (tighter than pvc to pvc) into the inside of the bulk head. To the point that if i add pvc glue, the glue will be pushed right inside the bulk head coz there is simply no room for it, know what i mean?

I think some of the advise given here to use barb hoses is due to the fact that most people think it is an actual hose that ends up in a flex piece which is not the case here. Maybe on top of the connection i will use something like this just for the sake of ocd:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NCJ9NA/?tag=reefs04-20

thx everyone

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You use PVC glue (rain or shine works well) to secure it inside the bulkhead.

It's medium strength, dries blue so looks a lil messy, and is way fast setting, really fast. Considered a hot glue. Works well for wet or quickly pressurized situations. Not good for abs bulkhead to pvc in any situation.

Coupla other things worth mentioning...
Transition cement (green) or all purpose (clear) should be used to cement abs to pvc. As in bulkhead to pvc.
There's some rumors that when using rain or shine (blue) you don't need to prime first, which is not true, and not code in most locals. Only cpvc and abs pipes don't need primer, or if pvc is being used as dwv (vent line), but they should be scratched up and/or cleaned before cementing.

Bulkhead hose is not meant to be glued

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: