jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have been rocking 400w halide + T5 since the beginning of time and want to experiment with LED at some point. No budget in mind, I just want an experience SPS reefer to give their optimal LED lighting scheme on a tank that is 32x32x26 with dense SPS growth. Complete coverage is one of my main concerns. Thanks for any suggestions and happy holidays to all.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Hey jax,
All i can say is good luck with that. been there done that and i went back to 400 watt 20k Radiums with no regrets. Getting the colors i want and growth. Im still using my radion G3 Pros for my main viewing pleasure and i dont think anything compares to what those leds make your corals looks like. If i were you i keep the 400 watt 20K's and buy a used radion pro from someone on MR. Youll have the best of both worlds.
You will get a lot of answers with regard to which Leds are best for a SPS dominant tank but just make sure whichever you get you get the coverage needed, more leds are better and turn them down than too little leds and turning them up burning everything under it like a laser. That was my mistake, i needed double the amount of radions for my tank to cover everything. Anything under the puck got burnt anything a little more than 1 foot to the sides got browned. Glad i never sold any of my equipment, In the long run it was a good move keeping it all.

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
G4 has me intrigued also but so did my GHL Mitras

Nothing compares to halide

You could prob get better results with 150 HQI than any LED

IMO some corals color up under LED but many don't and if they do the don't grow into lush thick colonies like they do under halide

It sucks but you can't beat the look, health and growth of a halide lit SPS tank

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
The Gen 4's are terrific. I have 2 mixed in with some older Gen2's and you can really see the difference in spread and spectrum.
+1. I replaced 4 G3s with 3 G4s. The spread is great. I did this a couple of weeks ago so I don't have real performance analysis, but I got a few SPS frags just before and at the swap and they are encrusting, showing new growth and maintaining colors.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I think I had poor results in the past with the g2's because my corals were low in zoox, colors were light. Not the case now with my heavy bioload.

Anyway, on a 32x32 tank would 2 radion g4 give full coverage? I'm not aware of the actual spread of these newer fixtures. I never trust manufacturer recommendations.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Many leds lights out there not falling behing MH's at all in growth or color...
I switched from mh to Orphek's Atlantik V3+ on a full blown sps tank and growth is now better with color kicking butt also. The Radions G4's are excellent, even World Wide Corals now runs them im the "legendary" 300 gal.

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Show me a tank that was grown out from frags to colony that looks anything close to a tank grown out that way with halide.

Aren't Most of the SPS tanks you refer to grown under halide for years then converted to LED?

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
You never miss your halides?

cause I do all the time

I feel like you even get an over all more stable coral too when grown under halide. I find corals are much more sensitive to even the slightest changes in water quality when under LED. I know we never want fluctuations in the stability of an SPS system but we all know things happen, it sucks even more when it happens and my tank is led lit. Only nice thing is you can turn down intensity till corals recover if you really stress them, but I feel corals are way more resilient under halide.

I know what can be done with halide or t5 and for tanks that matter that's my light of choice, but for my own experimentation I like to keep trying LED hoping I find a setup where I don't constantly compare it to the good ol 400 watt overdriven Radium.

Heck give me a iwasaki 65k with a bunch of actinic and I'm happier than any led I've used.

Radion, ghl, AI, maxspec...

I've seen the pratt reef tank when it was halide lit with some led reef brites and please understand there is no disrespect intended here, but, I feel it looked better and more natural than what I've seen recently with the Radion.

These conversations are good and not intended to insult or belittle anyone, we are all skilled reefers just trying to push the boundaries and have healthy happy corals.

For all I know I could be running my led incorrect as far as spectrum and intensity and have been completely frustrated with the most current one Im using, Mitras, but I will soon try a G4 and see for myself.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
G4 light non pro

Hi I've bin running G4's I have 4 of them on a 180 for about 3 months with 2 t5 blue plus and I was running radium 6 years finally converted here is pic from sep to dec two pics

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: