• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok I have been in touch with Scott from http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/

The base price of the Reefkeeper 2 from Digital Aquatics is $265. But if we can do a group buy of 10 units he can give us a discount.
Here is the link to their web page for the unit and I have also cut and pasted the description from their website as well.

I have never run a group buy but I have watched and observed for a year and been party to some so I kinda have a clue how they are to be run however, if someone with more experience wants to take this off my hands and run with it by all means go right ahead.

PH probes are not included but can be added for an additional cost.

FYI the Digital aquatics website states they hope to have logging software available for this unit by november of this year.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=985

ReefKeeper 2
RK2.jpg

[RK2]
$265.00

Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper 2

Kit includes Controller, 8 Outlet power bar, temp probe and all software. pH probe sold seperately.

pH Monitoring and Control
The ReefKeeper’s pH feature allows the user to monitor pH to 0.01 resolution. A channel can be linked to the pH measurement to control devices that raise and lower pH. All common pH probes are supported and an easy calibration will ensure an accurate reading. Purchase the pH probe separately on our online store.

Upgradeable Firmware with Free PC Cable Adapter – New!
Customers will be able to update their unit when new software features are released. The serial cable adapter is included with the RK2 system and the firmware update program will be available for free download whenever new software is released. To perform an update you simply press the "Go" button on the firmware update program. Then the program auto-detects the serial port and performs the upload, it's that easy!

BLUE Backlight LCD & LEDs (with dimming!) – New!
The ReefKeeper 2 now comes with an even sleeker design employing a blue backlit LCD, blue status LEDs and a black overlay background all standard. Users can set the brightness to 25%, 50%, 75% & 100% as desired.

Manual Override – New!
Each channel has a manual override to allow for quickly turning on/off channels when working with your tank or if you just need to activate your lights for an unexpected visitor.

Digital Light Timer
A light timer can programmed with an on and off time in 15 minute increments. Some or all of the channels can be programmed to be a timer. New! – Lights can now be programmed to turn off when the temperature exceeds a set value.

Night Mode - Independently Programmable – New!
Night mode can be configured independent of your light configuration so that moonlights can be configured to be on at night. You can also disable night mode altogether if desired.

General Purpose Timers – New!
General purpose timers allow for a single channel to turn on/off multiple times in a day, or provide an oscillate feature for things like top-off, etc. that you might want to turn on every so often throughout the day (independent of wavemaking).

Wavemaker (with softstart)
There are 3 wavemaker cycles in the ReefKeeper, cycles A, B and C. When a channel is designated as a powerhead a cycle must be chosen for that channel. Cycles A/B alternate opposite each other, while cycle C alternates on and off independently. Under the wavemaker setup you choose how long you want each cycle time to be by dialing an A/B cycle time and a C cycle time. In normal operation an ‘A’, ‘B’ and/or ‘C’ is displayed on the LCD to indicate which cycle is on. During night mode the cycle times double creating a calmer environment. You can also program individual channels to be off during night mode if desired.

Softstart
Softstart is a much debated issue in the aquarium community; many argue about whether or not it even exists. The reality is that both camps are right in some way. Softstart does exist, however, it isn’t practical or cost- effective to implement perfectly. Digital Aquatics does implement “softer-start” for all channels. This is done to reduce the “clanking” of the impeller when a powerhead is turned on. Put Digital Aquatics to the test! The way to judge a product’s softstart capability is to listen to the pump when it turns on; there is always some clanking, but the goal is to reduce it as much as possible. Digital Aquatics tested many other products and has implemented what it feels is the best performing softstart available. Also, powerhead design is improving over time and pumps like the MaxiJet brand last much longer than some others.

Standby/Feed mode
Standby mode can be programmed to be from 1 to 99 minutes long. When the “Standby” (top) button is pressed the ReefKeeper turns off the powerheads and sump pumps that are programmed to be off during standby mode for the set time or until “Standby” is pressed again. Standby/Feed mode helps reduce the bio load on the tank by maximizing the food eaten by fish and corrals and minimizing waist. Food will not get whisked away into the sump filter and to dead spots in your tank. Standby mode is also useful when it is time to perform maintenance on your tank and you need all the water pumps to be temporarily turned off.

Digital thermometer & dual-stage temp control (temp probe included)
The ReefKeepers digital thermometer is a reliable temperature sensor that is digitally filtered to provide accurate readings. Using the temperature measured the ReefKeeper controls one or more heaters and fan/chillers. The thermometer can be calibrated by the user so that near perfect (0.1 degree resolution) accuracy can be achieved from year to year.

Fan/Chiller control
The ReefKeeper turns on chillers and/or fans when the temperature in the tank exceeds a limit. Most aquarists don’t want to listen to their hood fans when then don’t need to. The ReefKeeper allows the fans to be off unless they are needed to keep the water temperature down. This way you only have your fans on when you absolutely need them. A temperature limit can be chosen for the fan/chiller in 0.1 degree increments.

Metal halide “sure-on”
Metal halides lights are notorious for not turning back on after a power interruption. This is because they cannot be lit when they are still hot. The ReefKeeper’s Sure-On feature detects power interruptions and allows a metal halide bulb to cool before turning back on. Since the ReefKeeper has an internal battery it will always be able to keep time and settings despite power interruptions of any length. If a metal halide channel is being held off by Sure-on after a power interruption, the LED associated to that channel will blink until the metal halide channel is turned on again.

8 programmable channels (No need for separate X-10 devices)
The 8 controlled outlets are built into the ReefKeeper making it easy to install and setup. No separate X-10 devices are needed to be purchased and setup, which saves aquarists time, space and money. The power controller is very compact for an 8 channel controller and mounting is very easy.

New! - 2 of the 8 channels (Ch 4 & 8) are traditional relays best used for light ballasts. Some ballasts do not light reliably with triacs (switches used in most controller products). This provides users with maximum flexibilty

New! - Channels 1 & 5 are offset to provide space that supports wall power adapters that sometimes come with fans. This avoids the need to run extra extension cords around your system which keeps you wiring clean.

Definates:
Chiefmcfuz
lazyreefer
EG99
Georgia customer from Aquarium specialty

Maybe:
inkblue
Craig

Last edited:

AquariumSpecialty

Sponsor
Vendor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Group Buy?

Group buy? I didn't know we were going to be officially offering a group buy on the RK2 controllers. Anyhow, since I guess it's on now...we are offering a group buy on the Reef Keeper 2:lol: . Prices for the expansion socket and pH probe will remain the same. Please send your GB info to [email protected] and include contact name, phone # and what items you would like to receive on this Reef Keeper group buy. I'm open to cut off dates. I'm thinking October 31st but if someone has a better idea then let us know.

5-9 Units $10.00 off
10+ Units $15.00 off and free shipping

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only the RK2 had remote monitoring via the web. The Aquacontrollers are nice but are really more than I need and the Lighthouse just looks so damn ghetto next to the RK2. =( I may jump in on this yet but I really really want to the remote access so that i can check the tank from the office.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Chief its funny that you funny put this up, I was just reading about it and seeing if I wanted to get one b/c I have heard about every one using them. I am interesteding the group buy, I just want to get more info on it and see if it definately for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: