deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
no nothing other than a mom and pops store and there hardly ever have anything and if they do price are crazy and thats petmaster in one hundred and fidty something at the end of third ave.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Unfortunately there is nothing that I know of in the Bronx other then Petland Discounts and that not really the type of place that you would want to be purchasing any of your saltwater supplies or livestock from.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
there's a store in Yonkers (Central Ave) that i've heard that carries a lot of stuff at pretty decent prices, i'm not sure of the name though

I believe your thinking of Exotic Pet's on Central Avenue near the Yonkers Count Raceway. This store has been shut down numerous times for animal neglect and disease fostering. The overall health of their animals are unacceptable and their ability to want to care for these animals doesn't even meet the standards that even Petco chain stores manage to meet. They have high lighting required corals under Power Compact Bulbs and Most of their fish are dieing or infested with Ich. The last place I would tell anyone to get their stuff from.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If you want a quality store (but quality does not come cheap) check out House of Fins in Greenwich, CT. I only buy my livestock from them and to be honest you pay alittle more but each of their employees has either numerous years in the Marine Aquarium Hobby or they have Marine Biology Degrees. They are also the only Local Fish Store that will guaruntee their livestock for 2 weeks. I will never buy from another location in New York.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yeah SI stay away from exotic pets warehouse in yonkers, they have to be one of the worst stores I have ever seen, they sell sick fish (tried to sell me a scratched tank for full price then when I noticed it he was like that's nothing). I had bought fish from him in the past but nothing ever lasted more that a week and his rock and corals are infested with pests. Go to Jawz2 in elmsford, greenwich aquaria or house of fins in Greenwich or you can go to any one of the wonderful vendors here.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah SI stay away from exotic pets warehouse in yonkers, they have to be one of the worst stores I have ever seen, they sell sick fish (tried to sell me a scratched tank for full price then when I noticed it he was like that's nothing). I had bought fish from him in the past but nothing ever lasted more that a week and his rock and corals are infested with pests. Go to Jawz2 in elmsford, greenwich aquaria or house of fins in Greenwich or you can go to any one of the wonderful vendors here.

Jawz in Elmsford, New York is another store that you want to aviod. The owner jus smokes inside all of the time and he is all for the sale and nothing else. I was searching for an Achillese Tang and every week I called for 5 weeks that told me the same story. "I just sold a beautiful show Achillese Tang yesterday". Prices are alittle ridicously for the quality that you get and also the majority of the fish their are Cyanide caught and will most likely perish shortly after addition to your aquarium especially if they are haboring a disease. I purchased a Powder Brown Tang that could not kick Cryptocaryn (Marine Ich) for weeks and eventually wiped out all my livestock. Stay away if you can. :skull:

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Over 10 years ago I had a saltwater store on East Tremont. Would not mine doing it again...

I would personally love to open a store in the neighborhood as well. But the problem I ran into was locating wholesale livestock dealers. It would be a great addition to Throggs Neck but I'm curious to what the customer base would look like.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Jason you would be suprised how many hobbyiest are actually in our area...

Bikinisalt, I'm definitely amazed at this right now. I just recently discovered Manhatten Reefs as my post count clearly shows. But it nice to see the amount of Reef Aquarist in Throggs Neck. Is their a local Marine Club for this area? I just moved here but my wife and her family have lived in the area her entire life.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Devious, this is a Bronx, New York thread. So I'm gathering that the conclusion is there are no reputable aquaria stores in the Bronx. Go to Greenwich, CT but expect to pay increased prices. :splitspin

Jason:
This thread was created over a year ago (7/29/06), as a contribution to our "Regional Reefs" forum where BK, Manhattan, ect. members were listing thier local pet stores.
I was wondering if I had missed any in the BX (even if it was a whole in the wall) where members can get emergency dry goods or what-ever.

Me myself, I have a fairly stocked tank with some decent live-stock, mostly all purchased from members personal tanks & our great vendors.
$ is not an object if I want something, but you wont see me in CT, unless I'm window shopping or getting something rare.

We can go on forever on which place sucks or are overpriced, etc.....but this thread was intended to list LFS for BX'ers.

:backtotop

Last edited:

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Jason:
Me myself, I have a fairly stocked tank with some decent live-stock, mostly all purchased from members personal tanks & our great vendors.
$ is not an object if I want something, but you wont see me in CT, unless I'm window shopping or getting something rare.

We can go on forever on which place sucks or are overpriced, etc.....but this thread was intended to list LFS for BX'ers.

:backtotop

Devious, definitely agree with your on window shopping lol.

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I defenitely agree with both of you...

Devious, definitely agree with your on window shopping lol.

There is no real SW store in the BX and to be honest I do think there will be a good sw store. It is tough now and days with high rents, electric bills hitting the roof, etc here in the BX. I know because I have a store in the BX.

If you want sw fish, we do have one advantage, we have a vendor here on MR called NYAQUATIC(Michael Stern). One thing I will say is, most of my live stock (fish) came from there and I have had a 99% survival rate with him and will continue to shop from there.

I have visited the other stores out of the area in one of my journeys, maybe picked up a piece here and there, but would certainly not go out of my way to go there...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There is no real SW store in the BX and to be honest I do think there will be a good sw store. It is tough now and days with high rents, electric bills hitting the roof, etc here in the BX. I know because I have a store in the BX.

If you want sw fish, we do have one advantage, we have a vendor here on MR called NYAQUATIC(Michael Stern). One thing I will say is, most of my live stock (fish) came from there and I have had a 99% survival rate with him and will continue to shop from there.

I have visited the other stores out of the area in one of my journeys, maybe picked up a piece here and there, but would certainly not go out of my way to go there...

Where was your store? I may have been years ago. Down just past St. Raymond's cemetery across from the beer distributor? I always wondered why they/you closed... It was a great store...

I have always wanted to open a pet shop, but just never had the chance... Now with all the petco's and such, from what I see, the small guy doesn't have a chance. Can't live on selling a few fish a week... Need to sell supplies for dog's and cat's. That's where the money is...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: