• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

do you have filter sock

• yes

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I am upgrading my sump and it might be hard to run filter socks
taking a poll on who runs them and who does not
pros and cons
I like them for getting ride of micro bubbles but hate them because I hate the pods that get stuck so I pick one by one take them out and put back in my fuge

I know it also pollishes the water also

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No sock. I did run a sock on my 180 and it would be brown in no time so it needed constant changing. Now on my 300 I run no sock and an ETSS 1K. My water couldent be clearer and my tank couldent be happier.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I love filter socks. I am running the smaller one, I think 4 inch. I got the filter sock assembly kit on eBay for 18 bucks and clipped it on to the side of my sump and worked great. U are right about the pods though... but I like the socks alot better then running random pads and ect...

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We use them and yeah it sucks cleaning them and the pods , but im not sure I would be comfortable not using them , Maybe if i had a better skimmer , we have an ASMG4+. But for now yes.

Chuck & Anna Maria

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
No socks, but i'm thinking about them. I dont want to add any more work during husbandry n testing. I will be moving my sump out from under the tank stand into the fishroom, so lets see.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
I use them ..and i see what they pull out ( to me it's worth the time)... I have about 15 and I change them out 2times a week. It's not hard work I think it's worth my time and they pull alot stuff out.

Cons you have to wash them IMO not a big deal.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I just made a filter sock assembly in my sump. I was going without them but detritus kept building up in my sump.
It's not too much work if you arrange your sump the right way. But get about ten so you don't have to wash them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Can I hijack this a little? Those who are using them, how do you wash them?
I turn mine inside out and throw them in a machine. No soap no bleach.

i use to do the same, but now i kinda just spray them with my hose with a nozzle outside because of higher water pressure to really get the color out. then i soak them in hot freshwater to kill all bacteria. an hour one side, then an hour inside out with new water. after that usually its looking new again. after doing it a few times i throw them out and just get new ones because they start to break apart. once i see signs of that i toss them.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Can I hijack this a little? Those who are using them, how do you wash them?
I turn mine inside out and throw them in a machine. No soap no bleach.

Put them in the washing machine on on the hot water setting with the extra rinse cycle and add like 2 cap fulls of bleach. Never had a problem and they come out brand new.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
No, you make sure your washing machine has the "extra" rinse cycle and if it doesn't then you just run them through the machine again without bleach and your done. I always make sure there is no bleach odor before I put them back in my sump. Bleach dissipates so there really is no concern using it as long as its rinsed thoroughly.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i have about 16 of them. when i have one or two left, i take them to a big commercial washer add bleach, extra rinse cycle and toss them in the dryer. takes about an hour or so. luckily my office is in a co-op equipped with commercial washers/dryers so i would do them during a lunch break.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: