qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Low tide is 3:03 so right around 3 is when things get started, last around an hour.

Collection is for tropical strays, typically spot fin butterflies, puffers, on occasion look downs, some surgeon fish, pipe fish and sea horses. Todd and Joe from Long Island Aquarium help ID everything, most fish though are not reef safe but good for fish only.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
That was a fun time. Alot of butterfly fish and one huge eel :)

Attachments

• collect.jpg
    collect.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 324

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Along with the spot fins we pulled up some puffers, pipe fish and a few gobies; plenty of ghost shrimp and silversides. Also some black fish, coronets, blues and some other locals but were all tossed back along with countless crabs.

Jelly fish were there but didn't seem to bad, actually thought they were less this year.

The eel was a good 2 to 3 feet, surprised everyone. Trying to track down the pics and will post one when I get it along with an ID if Joe remembers.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Big thanks to Christine for the pictures.....

Couldn't ask for a better day...
IMG_0821.jpg

Getting ready

IMG_0841.jpg

Joe and Christine pulling the net

IMG_0859.jpg

LOTS of crabs

IMG_0865.jpg

The eel.

IMG_0870.jpg

Can't remember this ID.

IMG_0884.jpg

Lots of butterflies, this is just one bucket

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_8021.jpg

Last edited:

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Really cool!! I wish I could have gone. I'm a science teacher with few tanks in the classroom. We go on a class trip (on a boat) out of Freeport and dredge the bottom, then take a few "creatures" back to the school tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: