tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I'm not in LI but I've always wanted to join LIRA. James, years back, really supported the tank I had at the high school I worked in. That was when I was first introduced to what then became Acan Lighting. I must have seen the prototype.

His tanks were sick. Millions of xenia and anemones. I don't know what it looks like now, but it was a sight for my eyes back in the day (5-6 years ago??).

Hm...just looked it up on Google.
When i lived in NJ it was 1.5 hrs away...now it's only 50 mins away without traffic.
Hm....

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi Everyone,

The clubs regular meetings are held the first Friday of every month and members usually start arrive around 7:30 with the guest speaker around 8:30, usually wrapped up by 10:30.

Rich, Joe is still a member but he?s only been to one or 2 meetings this year.

Holiday Party next weekend is open to everyone, clubs members pay $25 per person and non-members $55; a great deal for a catered dinner with open bar. Plus the one night you?re allowed to pull up a chair and view the tank with your choice of beverage. Kathy is correct in that we don?t usually accept walk ins but you can pay up to an hour before the event.

James is the owner of Acan lighting and a great friend of the club, he graciously opens his office to us every month to hold our meetings. His office tanks currently consist of a 175 bow http://www.acanlighting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144 , a 210 with 92G quarter round tanks on each side http://www.acanlighting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150 . all lit with Acan LEDs so you can see them in action.

Cage dives have been asked about but this is one area the aquarium keeps very tightly controlled, we may have them as a raffle prize at NERAC though.

Family Fun Day is the one event membership has its privileges, for $10 you get admission to the aquarium, lunch, behind the scenes tour of the reef tank and every kids favorite (well adults too) a visit with one of the aquariums penguins.

Hopefully I got to everyone?s question but please feel free to ask if you have any more; if you would like to join sign up is easy and all info is here http://www.longislandreef.org/membership.html

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I am not the James they are speaking of but I am a LIRA member and while I don't get to all the meetings, I would be more than willing to give someone a ride if they want to go. I will be going to the holiday party. :)

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Meetings are on Fridays? I was a member once. can I join again. I thought meetings were on a different day that was why I dropped out because of work. I would be looking forward to it if I can join again.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I keep wanting to go and something always seems to come up...it's also tough being a friday after a long week of work and just getting home, its tough to get myself back out of the house...i will try for the next meeting!!!

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I joined a little less than a year ago I think but I never got a card or anything since I was never able to make it to any of the meetings or events. My girlfriend and I are excited to join the holiday party. Just waiting to hear back in regards to the status of my membership

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Meetings are on Fridays? I was a member once. can I join again. I thought meetings were on a different day that was why I dropped out because of work. I would be looking forward to it if I can join again.

Meetings have been on Friday since the move to Acan but definitely you can join again.

I keep wanting to go and something always seems to come up...it's also tough being a friday after a long week of work and just getting home, its tough to get myself back out of the house...i will try for the next meeting!!!

January meeting is the 3rd so a short week J plus the guys keep coffee brewed and have plenty of snacks out.

I joined a little less than a year ago I think but I never got a card or anything since I was never able to make it to any of the meetings or events. My girlfriend and I are excited to join the holiday party. Just waiting to hear back in regards to the status of my membership

Replied to the PM.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clubs regular meetings are held the first Friday of every month and members usually start arrive around 7:30 with the guest speaker around 8:30, usually wrapped up by 10:30.

Do you know that is about the time when Shabbot begins?

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Meetings are typically held in Commack, right off the LIE and Northern State, http://goo.gl/maps/QhK1x, only NERAC (March), Family Fun Day (August) and the holiday Party (December) are held at the aquarium. July is our off month and September is the collecting trip.

The typical meeting consists of everyone chatting until around 8:30, quick club announcements followed by the guest speaker. A quick Q&A after the talk followed by a 50/50 raffle and coral auction.

Sharkbait... we are aware but given that our meeting location is donated we tried to pick a date and time that was convient to as many people as possible. The Brooklyn Aquarium society holds their meetings on the second Friday, same time as well.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is nice of acan to donate their place. I will be using acan lights when I finish building by upgrade.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: