Status
Not open for further replies.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
just like to give some feedback on some good and bad lfs ive visited

COUNTRY CRITTERS
i enjoyed this store.it had decent prices and the people who worked there where happy to help you with what ever you needed.the had a good selection of fish and corals.plus they where the only lfs that sold pods : ).its a clean store and while i was there they were doing a huge water change on there setups which is always good to see.i give them a solid B+.

MUTTS AND BUTTS
i did not like this store at all.it was pretty dirty and there prices were high.not outrageously high but still higher than alot of others.i was in the store for 15 to 20 minutes waiting for help and there was no one around to give me a hand.i left disappointed and empty handed.i give them a D+

SUFFOLK COUNTY FISH AND REEF
if you do not live close to there store in patogue do not waste your time going there.sure it is clean and they have a nice selection of coral not really fish but there prices are outrageous.they had a mushroom rock with maybe 5 mushrooms for over 100.there staff had no clue what they were talking about.i asked the man working why prices was so high and he explained that the coral need to be shipped.well if thats the case why are some othere stores 50% cheaper are they pulling coral out of the hudson river.i give them a D-.

PETS WAREHOUSE
i enjoy this store tremendously.i go there even when i dont need anything.they have a wide selection of fish but there coral selection has thinned out in the past 6 months.they have very reasonable prices and a pretty good staff who are always willing to help.when ever i need some type of equip or other dry good they always have what im looking for.i would recommend them to anyone.solid A

AQUARIUM ADVENTURES
i went here 2 days ago and id have to say i enjoyed this store and will go out of my way to go there again.my tank racked and they were the only store that had a 50 gallon breeder.there staff helped me out i had 3 of them come over at the same time to see if i needed anything and helped me carry my tank out to the car.it was a very clean store and had a wide selection of dry goods and fish.i didnt have time to check out the coral or the prices that is why i need to go back.so im giving them a A for now till i go back and check the whole place out.

BTJ JUNGLE
i just have 1 word for them horrible.they are way overpriced.there store is dirty and the fish and coral all look like they are dying.there staff have no clue what they are talking about and will sell u the moon and say there is no problem breathing just take short slow breathes.i feel sorry for all the newbies that go there to buy not knowing they walked into a spiders web.please do not go there there are other places on the island to buy whatever u need .solid F

as i go lfs to lfs i will continue to add to this list.so keep an eye out.

Last edited:

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Only review I can comment on is the Aquarium Adventure. Most the staff is great but the prices are INSANE.
Also, coral selection and health is pretty lame. Great store to just go and look but I wont buy anything there. I do like to go and ask questions as the staff (most) are real nice and know a ton.
Fish health also a bit off at times I think but they always have some amazing fish. Huge freshwater selection if you are into that

BTJ's should be shut down and the owners put in JAIL

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0

COUNTRY CRITTERS(amazing if you are in the area or money is no object)
i enjoyed this store.it had decent prices and the people who worked there where happy to help you with what ever you needed.the had a good selection of fish and corals.plus they where the only lfs that sold pods : ).its a clean store and while i was there they were doing a huge water change on there setups which is always good to see.i give them a solid B+.

MUTTS AND BUTTS(is great if you catch them before I do lol)
i did not like this store at all.it was pretty dirty and there prices were high.not outrageously high but still higher than alot of others.i was in the store for 15 to 20 minutes waiting for help and there was no one around to give me a hand.i left disappointed and empty handed.i give them a D+

SUFFOLK COUNTY FISH AND REEF(never been)
if you do not live close to there store in patogue do not waste your time going there.sure it is clean and they have a nice selection of coral not really fish but there prices are outrageous.they had a mushroom rock with maybe 5 mushrooms for over 100.there staff had no clue what they were talking about.i asked the man working why prices was so high and he explained that the coral need to be shipped.well if thats the case why are some othere stores 50% cheaper are they pulling coral out of the hudson river.i give them a D-.

PETS WAREHOUSE(lighting on the tanks kinda suck coral selection could be better IMO but there prices are good tho I have bumped into other MR members there)
i enjoy this store tremendously.i go there even when i dont need anything.they have a wide selection of fish but there coral selection has thinned out in the past 6 months.they have very reasonable prices and a pretty good staff who are always willing to help.when ever i need some type of equip or other dry good they always have what im looking for.i would recommend them to anyone.solid A

AQUARIUM ADVENTURES( I used to work at and would only shop at when they are having 50% off bc then you are actually paying the price things should be dry goods are marked WAY up and they fired one of our own sorry zach)
i went here 2 days ago and id have to say i enjoyed this store and will go out of my way to go there again.my tank racked and they were the only store that had a 50 gallon breeder.there staff helped me out i had 3 of them come over at the same time to see if i needed anything and helped me carry my tank out to the car.it was a very clean store and had a wide selection of dry goods and fish.i didnt have time to check out the coral or the prices that is why i need to go back.so im giving them a A for now till i go back and check the whole place out.

BTJ JUNGLE(never been)
i just have 1 word for them horrible.they are way overpriced.there store is dirty and the fish and coral all look like they are dying.there staff have no clue what they are talking about and will sell u the moon and say there is no problem breathing just take short slow breathes.i feel sorry for all the newbies that go there to buy not knowing they walked into a spiders web.please do not go there there are other places on the island to buy whatever u need .solid F

Tropical Showcase- they actually bring in high end fish once in a while BUT keep fish in way to small of tanks I boycott by all means I wish others would too and help put them out, NO LFS should ever have a 10'' naso/unicorn tang in a 10gallon tank and ask almost 300 I swear my brother had to drag me out. SOLID F-

as i go lfs to lfs i will continue to add to this list.so keep an eye out.

ill add more also lol

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Aquarium Adventure is horrible. Looks nice, but often has poorly kept livestock and the prices are so high it's funny. Not to mention the staff. One of their "knowledgeable employees" kept trying to sell me a tulip snail claiming it was a "red turbo that eats only algae." Even when I offered to show him the cite in one of their own books he refused to believe me.

I like Country Critters, but still find their prices to be ridiculous compared to other stores such as Aqua Hut or Aquatic Express. Just my .02.

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of Aqua Hut, their prices may be really good, but their livestock is near death almost all the time I have seen them. I question who/how they get ther live stock from.

Country Critters is ok, but its a little dark and dirty in the fish room. They do have stuff other places dont have.

I would also add Tropical Island Aquarium. I would say this is one of the best places in Suffolk County (despite its smaller size). They have amazing prices on corals, especially acan frags, and their fish are all healthy looking. Definitly worth the extra drive for me to get nice corals.

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Try Tropical Island (michael) on deer park ave, do a search on google, great guy! exotic coral w/ great prices. also, try a lot of fish(octopus garden), the guys name is dominique, the guy has been around for a while, expertise on ALL livestock, one of the last guys around this biz that is knowledgeable on the subject, just tell both stores that Tommy sent you, you'll get a discount!

xvinny631x

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Aquahut is great if you know how to pick fish... I havnt had a problem and will keep doing business with them! Country Critters is ok if you have fat pockets! While the economy is taking a dump their prices get higher??? bs

wimby

C&S Miracle Makers
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I just got 2 fish from Tropical Island. I have to say it is a great store with his frags in color order. LOL Really nice and freindly. Good prices and close to me. I also like Pets Warehouse never had a problem with any of the fish from there and the staff is freindly.

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
SUFFOLK COUNTY FISH AND REEF
I think you misplaced them. These guys are in Ronkonkoma. Country Critters is in Patchogue. Country Critters has a nicer setup, but in either case, both stores are overpriced.

If you can pick fish and aren't in a rush to buy on the day of arrival you can find some nice deals at Aquahut. You can definately get some great deals on corals and their drygoods are at internet pricing.

A couple of folk like Tropical Island in Deer Park. Great place! Not as big as the other stores, but Michael runs a quality setup. I will definately patronize his store. His place reminds of WWOF but at more reasonable prices.

Nassau

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 fish from Tropical Island. I have to say it is a great store with his frags in color order. LOL Really nice and freindly. Good prices and close to me. I also like Pets Warehouse never had a problem with any of the fish from there and the staff is freindly.

I agree both are good stores, waiting for the new one to get going in Selden

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PETS WAREHOUSE

AQUARIUM ADVENTURES

AQUARIUM ADVENTURESI have only dealt with one person there. I wish I could remember his name. He was very nice & helpful with any questions I had. The other employees seemed a bit snarky. Even with the club card a lot of the fish are over priced. Every so often they post a 50% fish/coral on twitter. Although they are cheaper than Tropical Showcase from my experience. The store has a very nice clean layout, most tanks appear clean. The frag selection has been subpar lately and they have an interesting mixture of fish. Overall B.

PETS WAREHOUSE
I went to visit this store last night from the good things I heard about it on this board. I have to admit, from the outside, it does not look like much. But looks are decieving. I was pleasantly surprise once i stepped in the door. They have a large selection of fish and coral. I am a beginner, as a matter of fact I believe this is my first post. I had a abundance of questions about the first frags for my nano reef. I spoke with a young gentlman named Mike. It was a very good experience. He happily answered all my questions and then some. The frag selection was a little weak but he explained they would be fragging soon. He also explained the plans they have to expand the SW selection. Overall it was a great experience and I will be definetly visiting them soon. Overall A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: