Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Closed Thread

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Reefer Ratings: (38 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by btldreef View Post
^ tropical island aquariums or tropical showcase. Cause i know you don't mean tropical island. Mike is definitely awesome. He has helped me and wife (yep she is in the hobby lol) with this hobby for about 2 years now. Acans, sps, and leds ... Store is clean real clean.

+1!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
You fellows are talking about 3 different stores here..

1- Tropical Island - is in Deer Park on Rt 231 - west side of road in strip mall - closer to the LIE than the Souther State. Owner is Mike. Sells SW & FW, highly respected around here.

2- Tropical Showcase - is in Hicksville on Old Country Rd between Rt135 & the Wantagh Parkway. North side of the road in a small shopping center. Sells FW & SW . Has an extensive amount of parts/bulbs/filters/food in there.

3- Octopus Garden/A Lot of Fish - not even sure of the name here anymore. This store is on Montauk Highway at the very end of Rt231., next to a Sherwin Williams store and set back FAR from the street, very easy to miss. South side of Montauk Hwy. I'd guess Babylon technically. It is the place most describe as looking like a garage sale inside. I do have to say that the fellow in there - Domenic - is incredibley knowledgable about fish. Carries FW & SW

Hope that helps
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
If you're up for a trip into Nassau County, Total Aquariums is a great store. The new store manager is even a member on this site and loves what he does. The owner (Martin) used to work at Ed's Aquarium on Sunrise Highway if anyone remembers that store. I loved it as a kid.

Total Aquariums info:

1706 S Rockaway Ave
Lynbrook, NY 11563-3934
(516) 887-5048

I used to work at Total years ago, recently went back when I was visiting family on Long Island and the store looks awesome, re-done. A lot of cool corals, including stuff like Acan frags (a bit pricey) but very cool. They even had stuff like Halloween Hermits which can be hard to find at a LFS. They're very good at ordering livestock for you too and specialize in maintenance. Small store with a lot of reef, salt and freshwater stuff.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
Suffolk County Fish and Reef has a new owner and revamped the store its pretty sweet, new coral selection alot of acro's and chalices, Got a blue ice acro for $30 bucks for two stalks worth, alot of fish for the size of the store, got a bar goby for 15 bucks that looks awosme in my reef tank, worth the trip if ur heading from aqua hut and tropical island its right on the way.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Send a Private Message
Wow so they're prices are realistic again?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Reefer Ratings: (21 (89%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelife
Suffolk County Fish and Reef has a new owner and revamped the store its pretty sweet, new coral selection alot of acro's and chalices, Got a blue ice acro for $30 bucks for two stalks worth, alot of fish for the size of the store, got a bar goby for 15 bucks that looks awosme in my reef tank, worth the trip if ur heading from aqua hut and tropical island its right on the way.

Does anyone have a phone number or address for this place,, suffolk county fish @reef ,, thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

55 cube
40 breeder sump fuge
Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Reefer Ratings: (60 (98%)
Friends: (53)
Send a Private Message
I dunno.... Suffolk fish and reef still seem pretty high. The owner Tom used to work at country critters. He is nice Guy but I still saw outrageous prices there.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Send a Private Message
Some prices were high like the hippos but most were alot lower and there coral was priced really good Tom was willing to frag some stuff up for me while i was there which was cool. The number is 631-467-3474.