Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (27)
Send a Private Message
Personally, I wouldn't add any "coral food" or supplements to a Pico tank.. It's hard enough to keep water quality stable in such a small volume of water.

Elos System 70 SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Reefer Ratings: (39 (100%)
Friends: (64)
Send a Private Message
Smart idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
Personally, I wouldn't add any "coral food" or supplements to a Pico tank.. It's hard enough to keep water quality stable in such a small volume of water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs
Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I've heard the term dirty water before can u guys give some detail on that term? My assumption is higher nitrates?
Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
The way i interpret 'dirty tank' is one with a higher dissolved organic load. Lack of or skimming, And/or high nitrates.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangrieder View Post
Correct water pars. Correct filtration. Correct amount of light. Correct placement in tank. Correct fish in your set up. Correct tempature. Correct Feeding. Correct amount of flow and correct amount of stability. Once you achieve that, you will get the correct amount of of growth.

With that said...

Water pars.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate should be 0ppm. Nitrate is ok though for 0-20ppm, It happens. Phosphate .04ppm and under. Calcium 380-550ppm. Magnesium 1200-1500ppm. Alkalinity 6-11. Salinity .023-.026.

Filtration.
Good skimmer. Simple set up not alot of pads that will hold nitrates. Optional fuge if have room. Filter sock is great choice. Optional but Reactor with some carbon and GFO. Keep it simple. Simple is key.

light.
light is obviously mandatory, but optional on type. T5 I notice personally has best growth. LEDs are not needed, but will really make the colors pop. Metal halide would work, but placement low is mandatory. Power compact is enough, but colors will not pop as much and really nice zoas and Palys will seem dull.

Placement & flow
Placement is huge. Depending on where placement is, hi or low means light amount, left and right will change flow rate. Zoas and Palys usually like macerate lighting, so depending on light matters where placement of high and low should be. High watts/par/lumen means placement is all around anywhere. Low amounts means place higher in set up. Flow is huge too. I notice personally my magicians, super sonics, and other higher end zoas like alot of flow. My supersonic zoas like the skirts to be bashed around every now and then. Then again, some of my more common basic zoas like just simple deep water reds or greens like moderate flow. If it seems happy, it's happy. If not fully opening or seems unhappy, then move not just over an inch, but maybe higher or lower as well depending on how it reacts.

Fish.
Reef safe fish only. No fish that may pick on or both zoas. Or even swim low on rock set up and constantly like to touch them. My wrasse and clowns constantly run my zoas and close them.

Tempature.
A nice stable 77-80 degrees.

Food.
Correct feeding is obvious as well. All corals want something different. Zoas usually planktons. Phytoplankton is what many uses use.

Stability.
Tank needs to be stable of everything I said. No fluctuating of tempature or water pars or salinity. Keep it all stable.

With all that achieved... Your zoa heads, or any corals you purchase for here on out should be happy, grow well, and thrive.
Hello .. How are you!!

I just read your info about zooanthids , and i will like to ask you for some tips about my zooanthids . I have an small tank, i'm new in this hobby, but i just change the light than i used to have , before i had a Led Arm from ecoxotic with 6 12k whites and 3 453nm blues led's and my zooanthids was working good , but i just decide to change the light for a Par 38 from ecoxotic also, but i just notice than one of my zooanthids is not open like before, i been watching than is trying to catch light, but i don't understand that because the bulb brings light to almos the whole aquarium, i been thinking to move it to the middle of the aquarium to see if my zooanthids gets better!! Well i hope you can help me in this time!! Thank you very much !! Have a great day..'
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Pro hobby anti profit!
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (128)
Send a Private Message
I only dose calcium and lugols solution and now my zoas open up and are spreading like Kenya trees , I do 5 gal water change on Sundays and Wednesdays
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (7 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
I only dose Fuel and weekly water changes

Sent from my ADR6300
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ml#post1055998