advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi, I just got these duncans and after opening up really nicely initially, they're now all shrivelled up, although still open. Any thoughts as to the cause? Too much/too little light/water flow? I have them in the middle but off to the side of the tank, with indirect water flow. I'd say par is around 250-350. Attaching before and after shots...

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 429
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 429
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 424

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
maybe the light is too strong for it? i would move it lower perhaps on the sandbed or so and monitor it for a few days and then move it up depending on their reaction. from what it seems, it looks pretty healthy, heads are open and color looks good.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I keep them bottom right of my tank and my mp40 is above it. Gets lots of flow and under 6 bulb t5 tek

Duncan's prefer Low flow, here's some info I got of the web hope it helps:
Native to the deeper waters of Western and Northern Australia and the South China Sea, this coral prefers to attach to solid objects in soft, sandy areas. Here, they readily propagate and often form a continuous mat of tentacles that conceal the overall shape of the underlying colony. In the home aquarium, place in low current areas with low to moderate light.

This coral is peaceful and does well with other non-aggressive corals and invertebrates, provided it has ample room to grow. Though they feed through photosynthesis via the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae that thrive on the colony, this coral also benefits from regular target feedings of meaty marine foods such as enriched mysis and brine shrimp.

It also benefits from the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water column.

I'm Nemo's mother.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i have very gentle indirect flow on both my duncans. they seem to extend their tentacles to that. however i did notice that if i have my LEDs on full blast the tentacles take a rounder tip shape than a sharper one.

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey all, thanks so much for the feedback, sorry it took me so long to respond. I've moved them down to the sandbed, so will see how they take. Phosphates are .07ppm, magnesium is 1300, alk is 9.5 dKH, PH is 8.1, and calcium is 420. Will keep you updated!

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks all, moved the duncans to the bottom corner, and target fed them as well. Will keep you posted on the progress. I've been trying everything to get phosphates under .05ppm, but it's proving tough... I bought Kent phosphate sponge and have gone through almost the whole box doing 2 day increments for a week, and still only got phosphates down to .07ppm. The box says it will bring a 120gallon tank from 1ppm to 0.00ppm, so I'm a little frustrated... My phosban reactor has about 1.5" of GFO in it, as well as a bag of chemipure elite in the sump. I only have 3 fish, and I feed once every 1-2 days a small amount of flakes.

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So it's been 2 weeks and still no improvement. They stay shriveled up most of the time and when they're open the "skirts" are just little nubs. Tonight when I got home and turned off the pump to feed, I noticed there was black stuff coming out of the mouths. Any ideas what it is? I'm about to throw in the towel with these guys...

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 143

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: