Shalco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Hey everyone, question for ya. My toad stool is on a plug and has a pretty long stalk. I would like it to stand up straight but it is almost always toppled over and laying on the side. I think it's because the stalk is too long. Can I dig a small hole in my sand bed then place the base of the stalk in it? Or will having the base of the stalk buried screw up the toad stool? Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the toad stool to stand up straight? I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Dave

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Dave, burry it in the sand is not a good idea, the burry part will start to decay. I would just cut the top of and glue the top onto another disk using some mesh to hold it down and rubband it, just tight enough to hold it down, don't over do it or it'll die...you can probably remove it in two - three week. This way, the stalk will grow out another head and the stalk should be able to support it.

It's wired, the stalk should be able to support the weight. Also, it could be that the toad stool don't like the place you put it, maybe try to lower it or raising it, depend on your light level.

btw, thanks again the nice ric's and yuma. OMG, the yuma open so big, like 2 quarter size.

Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
In my experience, flow has a lot to do with if a toadstool will be able to support itself or not. In low flow, mine have never been able to support themselves. When they are put into stronger flow they support themselves just fine.

I would go with what Sam said above, chop it and end up with two :) Put them in stronger flow once they heal up and you'll be set.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
This is normal when some leathers are newly introduced to a new tank. And yes, you can bury it but not too deep. Cut off the trunk above the bend and push the top portion through a piece of egg crate wide enough for it to stand up straight.

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
do not bury a toad stool the stalk will not breath and it will disintigrate in the water if you want to cut it and make two you can but thats dangerous and the coral may not servive i have a long tentical toadstool and what i did was put it in good flow and put two live rocks between the stolk and it grew onto the rock and now stands up nice and straight

in the wild toadstools get really big and tear the head when it does that it drops a peice of the head and it grows onto anther rock

this one is mine

Attachments

• DSCN0319.jpg
    DSCN0319.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 295

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: