pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Maybe it's my imagination but I feel like I never hear anyone talking about, selling, etc. Galaxia coral anymore?

I have 2 colonies and they're beautiful. I know they're fairly aggressive but don't seem much more than my frogspawn & leathers.

Just curious.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just gave away a MONSTER Galaxea to my friend. It got way too big for my 90 gallon. It was about 6" when I got it in '07 and it grew to about 17 inches. I finally took it out the tank on Sat to frag it. It encrusted/attached itself to 4 large rocks. It was very heavy lifting it out of the tank and I was glad it didn't break. After looking at it for a bit, I couldn't bring myself to frag it. But it had to go. I asked a while back if anyone could guide me on how to frag such a huge piece but no one chimed in on how to.
See thread http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...34724-galaxea-got-too-big-need-help-frag.html.

I had real probs with it's sweeper tentacles. They would extend to almost 5 inches. My powerheads on opposite sides kept the tentacles at bay and it just kinda gave up sweeping. LOL.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I just gave away a MONSTER Galaxea to my friend. It got way too big for my 90 gallon. It was about 6" when I got it in '07 and it grew to about 17 inches. I finally took it out the tank on Sat to frag it. It encrusted/attached itself to 4 large rocks. It was very heavy lifting it out of the tank and I was glad it didn't break. After looking at it for a bit, I couldn't bring myself to frag it. But it had to go. I asked a while back if anyone could guide me on how to frag such a huge piece but no one chimed in on how to.
See thread http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...34724-galaxea-got-too-big-need-help-frag.html.

I had real probs with it's sweeper tentacles. They would extend to almost 5 inches. My powerheads on opposite sides kept the tentacles at bay and it just kinda gave up sweeping. LOL.

Shout out to Old Bethpage from New Bethpage! lol

I've never fragged one but they're toothes....wonder if you could just gently poke something near the edge (while retracted) and apply a little force and have them pop off. Probably a terrible idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: