E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Yesterday I bought a beautiful 12-15 head, branching frogspawn coral colony from a local reefer.

Long story short, I got in a pretty bad car accident on the way home (I'm fine) and my coral got thrashed up. I had to get out of the car quickly and couldn't get the frogspawn to safety, so unfortunately it had to sit in a bucket last night and all day with about 2 gallons of saltwater.

Luckily the guy at the body shop recognized it as living coral and brought the bucket inside so it didn't get too hot in my car.

Needless to say the frogspawn is in rough shape, but it looks like 3/4 of the heads should recover. (Hopefully!)

I have a few questions...

Since the majority of my tank (34 gallon solana) is euphyllia (I love these things :)) ...is it a stupid risk to keep the frogspawn in the tank? I know it's not diseased, and is not showing any signs of brown jelly disease but it's damaged and slimed up.

Will all that stuff sloughing off mess with my other corals?

Other than keeping it in a low light, medium-low flow area with high water quality, and gently basting the slime off the polyps, is there anything else I should do? I don't want to bother it by dipping unless it's strongly recommended.

This was a beautiful colony and I really want it to survive.

Thanks for the help

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I bought a wall frogspawn a couple of months back and UPS screwed up the shipping. Long story short, ti thought the coral wasn't gonna make it. I decided to give it a shot and put it in my 20 gal mixed reef. I already had a 10 head froggy, one head torch and a 2 headed hammer. I was a little concerned but it all worked out. The wall frogspawn looks awesome today and so does the rest of my euphyllia :D I made sure it was in low light and flow. I didn't baste it or anything. I just left it alone. I hope this helps. Good luck

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Awesome to hear man. Congrats on the recovery. I just took another look at my tank, and (so far) the rest of the corals haven't skipped a beat, and most of the heads on my frogspawn are opening up (still tiny but it's definite progress). I think mine is going to be ok too :D

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yesterday I bought a beautiful 12-15 head, branching frogspawn coral colony from a local reefer.

Long story short, I got in a pretty bad car accident on the way home (I'm fine) and my coral got thrashed up. I had to get out of the car quickly and couldn't get the frogspawn to safety, so unfortunately it had to sit in a bucket last night and all day with about 2 gallons of saltwater.

Luckily the guy at the body shop recognized it as living coral and brought the bucket inside so it didn't get too hot in my car.

Needless to say the frogspawn is in rough shape, but it looks like 3/4 of the heads should recover. (Hopefully!)

I have a few questions...

Since the majority of my tank (34 gallon solana) is euphyllia (I love these things :)) ...is it a stupid risk to keep the frogspawn in the tank? I know it's not diseased, and is not showing any signs of brown jelly disease but it's damaged and slimed up.

Will all that stuff sloughing off mess with my other corals?

Other than keeping it in a low light, medium-low flow area with high water quality, and gently basting the slime off the polyps, is there anything else I should do? I don't want to bother it by dipping unless it's strongly recommended.

This was a beautiful colony and I really want it to survive.

Thanks for the help

Glad you're ok man.
I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the tank.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Damn Eric Sorry to hear, glad you are ok though buddy! Just let it hang out it should recover fine. I have found the key to any coral recovery is just letting it sit stress free. The less you touch it the better. Three L's Low flow,Low light and Leave it alone. Feeding it helps also. Throw some small particle stuff like phyto ,rotifers etc is good and if it opens enough throw some mysis at it. A syringe is def the best technique if you have one. If not I have a bunch if you want to grab one.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks fellas. Yeah, I'm fine.

The frogspawn is still pretty closed up but it's looking better. Definitely an improvement from last night, that's for sure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: