Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So ive always apreciated this coral, but always feared they would not last in my tank as many experience( mostly Green variety). Ive researched on some sites and found the red/ purple variety are tougher and there are many that claim have kept those corals for a long time(3+years)
I came across a very nice piece of the red species and couldnt resist. Ive placed it on a spot with good flow, good lighting and have also bought a product that seems to help with their nutrition, TLF's "Gonipower".
I love the coral as it has insane red coloration, and wanted to hear from others that kep the red/ purple variation and their experiences/ tips for success with it.
Here is a pic of mine

Thanks

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ive had mine for maybe 6 7 months its red with gold eyes , very nice piece always open and happy and never directly feed anything , on the bottom if my tank 12 inches under 4 24inch t5ho bulbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have a green branching goniopora and it never fully opened like it was in the store. I had it placed high mid and low. Good flow and had 4 bulb t5 lighting. I now have it in the sand in a good flow area in my LEDs and still no improvement. This is the one coral I didn't research before buying and I feel bad that it's not doing good.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have a green branching goniopora and it never fully opened like it was in the store. I had it placed high mid and low. Good flow and had 4 bulb t5 lighting. I now have it in the sand in a good flow area in my LEDs and still no improvement. This is the one coral I didn't research before buying and I feel bad that it's not doing good.

I hear you, that is such a nice coral, ive also had the green branching in the past, and it lasted maybe 5 months until its health declined. It was open and doing really well, and one day didnt open as much and slowly died. At the same time all other corals were splitting and flourishing so i know it was not the tank.
I have read many times to avoid the green type, and get purple or red, because they are tougher. Their needs are quite unknown, but some say feeding zoo/phytoplancton provides the nutrition needs.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
my girlfriend has a green goni and its like one of her first corals its so big and fat and shes had it for about a year now if im correct healthy as can bee under LED's bright as heck.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a large red and a large purple Gonipora. They are both thriving. They've been in my tank for almost a year. I feed Reef Snow, and Coral Amino each twice a week on different days. So far, so good.

ZephNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been keeping goinioporas for many years. Here are some growth pictures from some small colonies that started as frags...

gonioporas1.jpg

And here they are about 6 months later. Theyre even bigger now Ive had to move them...

gonioporas2.jpg

dsc1543r.jpg

hellfirer.jpg

dsc1525m.jpg

dsc1540a.jpg

ZephNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey I just got a frag that looks very similar:
s5k60i.jpg

How have you been keeping yours with regards to light/flow/placement? Have you been feeding them?

I mostly only target feed the larger Indo colonies like the purple one. But I do feed the 5 sun corals lots of freeze dried copepods, which the Gonies probably are benefitting from too. I keep them under strong flow, and you can see them blowing to the side, and Halide lighting. ITs a 125 gallon, im running 2x 250W 10 k halides and a 400W 14K halide.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: