jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I bought a hammer coral about 2 months ago that was completelty white. The tips are solid and the arms are kinda see through. The LFS gave it to me for cheap and I thought it was bleached. Well it is growing new heads on it and it is nice and full now. Yet it is still white, anyone ever see this before?? After 2 months it should have gotten some color back, ecspecially with new growth. I will post pics soon.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
White hammer corals are very common, just not as desired as green and other colors.

It wouldn't matter if they were desirable or not, they would be offered for sale and places would still bring them in. A lot of ugly Hammers, Frogspawn and Torch come in all the time. Also if Wholesalers had them they would be shipping them out.

Also I think you're talking about the tips being white, which is very common on Torches, less common on Hammers but you do see them, usually a slate gray with white tips.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
It wouldn't matter if they were desirable or not, they would be offered for sale and places would still bring them in. A lot of ugly Hammers, Frogspawn and Torch come in all the time. Also if Wholesalers had them they would be shipping them out.

Also I think you're talking about the tips being white, which is very common on Torches, less common on Hammers but you do see them, usually a slate gray with white tips.
Your right marrone, I was talking about the tips and also thought that was what the OP was talking about.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
No I said the entire coral is white. The tips being solid ans the arms to the tips being an almost see through white. I do not know if it is truely a white coral or bleached. But by now it should have showed some signs of color. It has been growing and has new smaller heads towards the base growing.

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
thats what mine look like now. Everything I own seem to bleach a little. The whole head and its tentacles on my hammer is white/clear.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The only thing is that every other coral in my tank has great color, including my other hammer and frogspawn. The frogspawn is now at 30 heads and the other hammer has doubled in 3 months. I think it might just be a white hammer and not bleached.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I need to get a pic up here. People are saying it is an Aussie Peach that have seen it. It has since split from 2 heads into 4 heads since this post started. And still has the 5 small heads growing pretty fast. I definetly know it is not a bleached coral. Bleached corals do not grow like this.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have a number of Assuie Peach Hammers in my tank, I actually just sold a 4 head one, so you can look at that picture I posted and compare it to what you have. Also the arms aren't see through or is it completely white, if you saw the coral you would never say that it's bleached.

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is starting to get to me, I went on google search for the last hour trying to search for a "common white hammer" or "Aussie Peach", couldn't find anything on it, can someone please show me a picture, if they actually exist, I want some.

junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
picture_7.jpg

To the left of the duncans and to the right of the elephant ears, that is a white hammer. I got it from Ocean Gallery a while back. It came that way and i know it is not bleached.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: