greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello all, I am having trouble figuring out why my acans will not expand. All of my other LPS expand with out any problems, they include a hammer coral, trachiphyllia, candy canes, and red goniopora. My parameters are fine so I cannot figure out the problem. Do they need to be fed alot?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Greg, I had the same problem with my acans for a few months.:( They are now starting to puff up as they should. What I did was: I moved them to a spot where they get less flow, and began feeding them Oyster Feast, Rotiffer Feast, Phyto Feast & Tobikko eggs (tiny orange sushi eggs) every other day 45 minutes before my light come with the returns & skimmer off.:) I also started back up 20% weekly water changes.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I had the similar problem and worse. Basically it recedes. I moved it to my fireshrimp's cave where it gets little light and flow.

I can't feed it due to the fire shrimp will grab the food from acan.

I hope my acan will survive.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Is it possible that a fish/invert is picking at them?

I have had peppermint shrimp eat acans.
Recently my Tang has decided to pick at my acans, and now my acans do not inflate most days.

Check to make sure another animal in your tank is not bothering them, if you can not explain thier behavior.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
My acan puffs I think. But they are receding. I can see the edge of the skeleton more by day. The polyps are shrinking in size.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I would not waste your time with the additives, particularly the phytoplankton. Zoomax looks like it is just cyclopeez in some kind of additive. Either way, Acans will eat large pieces of food like mysis shrimp.

Last edited:

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As well as chopped up pieces of silversides. I know you said your param's are good . But I would double check Alk, Ca++ & Nitrate again. Good Luck.

+1

I would check everything again bring water to you LFS and let them double check it. Half my test kits do not work right. I have $200 worth.

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Is it possible that a fish/invert is picking at them?

I have had peppermint shrimp eat acans.
Recently my Tang has decided to pick at my acans, and now my acans do not inflate most days.

Check to make sure another animal in your tank is not bothering them, if you can not explain thier behavior.
+1 i had a kole tang and 2 hippos doing work on them

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My acans have been going through a similar situation. I had started to feed my tank less when this started happening bc my nitrates/nitrites were a bit high. I fixed that problem but then the acans wouldnt puff up anymore or show their feeder tentacles anymore. My two small frags of acans started showing their skeletons.

I started adding cyclopeeze to the tank and they are just now starting to slowly get more inflated after a week or so of doing this. The bigger acan is getting puffy too but no feeder tentacles have been coming out like they used too. Its a slow process to get them the way they used to be.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
When I got mine, they wouldnt open up, I moved them to a spot with less light, after that it took them like a month to puff up even with my parameters OK. Now they are in teh same spot, growing, opening, puffing adn eatting missis.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: