FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm considering adding an acan or blastos or both and I wanted to hear from people who have had them. Beyond just ease of care, I'm interested to hear whether you enjoyed keeping them and recommend them. I don't see them in peoples tanks too often and I'm wondering why.

Blastos in particular seem really rare.

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We currently have both in our tank , we enjoy them both. just my opinion but i think acans are a little more forgiving with parameters and placement, etc. Please remember this is jus my opinion and Im not very experienced in the hobby, only 6 years , 4 with corals.

Regards, Chuck P

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Blastos aren't really that rare, Acan's aren't really either. They just go through boom and bust cycles, and what's hot now are scoly's and chalices.

I like Acan's and Blasto's because as you said they're pretty darn easy to take care of, and they come in some pretty cool colors. Some grow decently fast too.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Just don't be afraid to play with their placement in your tank. Once you find the sweet spot acans grow pretty quickly, blastos are slower to reproduce in my experience.

nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
have both, love them. i have a huge 80+ blasto thats awesome. i also have a 8 head blasto as well if your intrested. also you can find some crazy looking acans i mean CRAZY acans at tropical island in deer park. pm me if you need any help

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
here's one of my acans finishing up a meal of the new Fauna Marin LPS food

Attachments

• DSC_3349.jpg
    DSC_3349.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 181

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I have a few acans.. They are really neat corals. In my experience, they have preferred lower light than, say SPS corals but they do grow pretty quickly.

I also love feeding them Mysis shrimp. (They love it too, as far as I can tell)

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I love acans a lot. They are easy to keep plus they morph color to new environment if your are always changing lights, and/or not a religious water/media changer. LOL
Some acans of mine flipped upside down(as long as it's not over the sand) for over a month and yet when recovered, they are still puffy. They even eat dry fish food.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
When I had a set up I prefered acans because I felt they reacted more to feeding and life in general. I liked watching them try and gulp down a cube of mysis, or fluff up in the light.

My blastos ate too...but they were smaller, didn't grow as fast, weren't as reactive.
But, I've seen some blastos that are huge in size. Maybe the larger type would be more interesting. Never tried those.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
They are good, colorfull, easy corals to add to an aquarium. They are sometimes not commonly seen because of their price. I have both and recomend them.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Funny you mentioned acans and blastos. I just both frags of both from the MR swap. Right off the bat, I can see blastos are more delicate. I raised it to the middle of the tank, and I can see it did not like the flow.

Dropped it down, and it seems to like it.

PS. Got two new scolys recently, so I guess I hit it all mentioned on this thread...lol.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: