Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 408

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Not to me....I have never seen a healthy one do that, and that is what mine did after I moved, where it died shortly after....Have seen a few other doomed elegance do that.
Ive had more than 1 like medium flow, but yours look sick/infected....not a flow issue

It wasn't just introduced into system was it?

JSweeney76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Haven't had much luck with these, but from what I've read, they sometimes do this to remove some debris or toxins. You may want to move it to another area and see if it improves. How long has it been like that?

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Haven't had much luck with these, but from what I've read, they sometimes do this to remove some debris or toxins. You may want to move it to another area and see if it improves. How long has it been like that?

Haven't had it long and I did move it ,it was looking more normal were I first had it now its directly under my lights,4 bulb tek,it was more shaded when it lookd ok
Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not to me....I have never seen a healthy one do that, and that is what mine did after I moved, where it died shortly after....Have seen a few other doomed elegance do that.
Ive had more than 1 like medium flow, but yours look sick/infected....not a flow issue

It wasn't just introduced into system was it?

It was a few days ago put in my tank and now my torch looks like its got some brown slime and it going one head at a time

JSweeney76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It was a few days ago put in my tank and now my torch looks like its got some brown slime and it going one head at a time

You may want to relocate it back underneath a cliff where it's not getting direct light. Since it does better under the actinics when the daylights (T-5s) are off, maybe it's not liking the direct light. Just a thought. :scratchch

Aerowen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
that does not look good, i have seen pics of elegance's doing this before they die. Hopefully this does not happen to yours, if your torch is displaying that brown slime you may want to do something about it, i lost a 13 head aussie torch to that in a couple of days.

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
that does not look good, i have seen pics of elegance's doing this before they die. Hopefully this does not happen to yours, if your torch is displaying that brown slime you may want to do something about it, i lost a 13 head aussie torch to that in a couple of days.
That's what I have a aussie torch 7 heads.what can I do?I have a frag tank and 8 gal

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
You may want to relocate it back underneath a cliff where it's not getting direct light. Since it does better under the actinics when the daylights (T-5s) are off, maybe it's not liking the direct light. Just a thought. :scratchch

+1... also if your getting slime on your corals they may be dying off.. something has changed? if its an algea growing.. phosban reactor? carbon reactor? did u do a water change recently.. ro/di water? whats your mag/ alk levels..do you have a copper test kit? might wanna check just for giggles.. i know its alot of questions im shooting at you between this post and the last one.. but if you actually check these out u might find something...before you loose everything..

elegance is very touchy so if something is off it will show first but if your LPS is getting some goo, then its advancing whtever it is..

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
sounds like a bacteria/infection/disease...I have a very aggressive stance on this now, after losing several corals several times( I do not have a QT). I throw out any "infected" heads/corals. I would rather lose some things now, than risk other corals/heads getting this bacteria/infection.disease.

This is just what I do, and most likely a lazy way to deal with this, but I happen to like this easy/safe method.

Best of luck what ever you do.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few thoughts:
It's hard to tell from your pics how the elegance is positioned. You don't have its skeleton buried in the sand, do you? They do much better laying horizontally on the sand bed (which is how they grow in the wild). I have certainly seen them swell up, but rarely that completely - usually mine swells a bit before excreting waste.
Also, absolutely should be in the shade. Again, in their natural habitat (if I'm not mistaken), a lot of their light is blocked by mangroves & other plants (side note - also probably indicating murky/organics filled water). I keep mine under an overhang on the bottom of my 55 which is just lit by 216w of t5-ho.
Low/Intermittent flow seems to be the best - you want nutrients to be moving by the elegance for it to trap/eat, but too high a flow and it won't be able to catch anything (in addition to being irritated by the movement itself). I use a PowerSweep 214 (which somehow still works..) to provide a semi-intermittent current for my elegance and my hydnophora.
If you're not, I would definitely be target feeding at least once a week...the 4" diameter head on mine would eat a silverside every night if it could.
As for the timing of your torch having problems...my first thought, before infection of any sort would have to do with allelopathy - the chemical warfare that a lot of these corals - and the elegance is no lightweight - can wage on each other (and just release when stressed) can wreak havoc on your tank even if they're on opposite sides. Are you running any carbon/skimming?

If I were in your shoes, I would do a few big water changes, get some fresh carbon going and watch everything else in the tank carefully for signs of stress...(besides obviously double checking all your parameters)
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me has more advice to give, but however you decide to handle it, good luck and keep us updated!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: