basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I got this open brain a few weeks ago . I think the correct name for it is trachyphillia. This is my first and so far am very happy with it. It is about 3 inches when closed and probably close to 6 when open. The colors are brilliant. I have it under T5's and feed it chopped up silversides about twice a week.It is in a small Aquapod 24 gallon so when it is open it really hogs the show. I have it on top of my rock and not at the bottom and made sure it does not rub against any rock. After the lights are out there are small tentacles all along between the center and outer ring.

If anyone has suggestions on its care I would like to hear them.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/galle...le&direction=ASC&imageuser=1964&cutoffdate=-1

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
That's a nice piece!!! Feed it like any other coral-shut the flow off, give it a little food to wake it up and get those tentacles out, and after a few minutes, feed away!!!

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
The tentacles come out by themselves after the lights are out.
I am treating this coral a little different than what is normaly suggested which is to keep it on the substrate. I just do not have enough open space at the bottom. So i have in on a rock. I did make sure it has enough clearance all around so that when it inflates it is not rubbing against rock.
My only concern is that it may be that the coral gains something by being on the substrate and this way it would be missing it. Some article I read seemed to infer that. But as of right now it seems to be very happy where it is.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Update

Well, I have been feeding it chopped silversides and is has grown quite a bit. It is at least 6 inches accross when open. The colors are amazing. At night when it closes and I turn on a moonlight the colors are very intense.
I have not figured out how to take pictures good enough to show the colors as they really are.

It really is an easy coral to take care of.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have a green open brain for close to ten years now and mine does better in the sand where it's coned shell is able to grow....doesn't really need to be fed, but it does help..just make sure it fully opens and fluffy a sure sign of how it's doing...good luck beautiful piece!

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have had mine for 4 years and I have never fed it. Has awesome colors and is about 6-7" across now. Becareful feeding it in a nano. You can have a hard time keeping you water parameters in check.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I only feed if I see the tentacles are out and I leave the pumps off for about an hour. No food gets wasted. I have more problems feeding my acans because each head is small food goes all over.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: