Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (27)
Send a Private Message
Are they not coming out at all or are the head just not extending. If they are not extending then I would say that it is because of the phosphates. And check your test kit because trates can't be 0 with that high phosphates.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
The are out probably 1/8 of an inch, the recede further when the lights are off.

Going to not feed anything until the weekend and see if that helps
Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Send a Private Message
Well another week has gone by and the frogspawn is still not opening up.

I just moved it to a shady spot with no flow, lets see what happens but its not looking good.

Should I give up?! Is there anything else I should be testing for that could be causing this?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (35 (100%)
Friends: (63)
Send a Private Message
Maybe try putting it in a friend's tank for a week or two?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (27)
Send a Private Message
it sounds like you're moving the coral around a lot. I would try to find a spot with lower flow and medium light (low to mid range in your tank should suffice) and leave it alone for a while.

What are you using to test phosphates? .75 is very high.

Also, do you have peppermint shrimp? I had a similar issue a long time ago and couldn't figure it out.. one night I came back to my tank and saw the peppermint shrimp eating the frogspawn. Going to town on it.

Elos System 70 SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Send a Private Message
I'm using a red sea phosphate test kit which I think has to be wrong... I do not have the algae growth to support as high of a reading as I'm getting.

No peppermint shrimp but funny you should say that as I was going to pick two up this week to deal with some aiptasia thats taking over a zoa colony.

The frogspawn was in the same place, medium light and flow, for months and was thriving until all of a sudden this happened. I do not think me moving it around is whats caused it but I'm going to keep it in its new spot for a month and see what happens.

Unfortunately I'm alone in this hobby and don't have any friends with a tank although I like the idea of having someone else take it for a little while to see if we can isolate the problem

Last edited by sroot17; 10-27-2010 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: grammer duh
Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Reefer Ratings: (80 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroot17 View Post
Well the reduced flow and lighting does not seem to be making any difference.

Anyone got any other ideas? Is there something I should be supplementing?

I did notice this started happening after I switched from activated carbon to chemipure elite. Maybe that has something to do with it?
go back to the carbon and see what happens.
Vic
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
I had a similar issue a long time ago and couldn't figure it out.. one night I came back to my tank and saw the peppermint shrimp eating the frogspawn. Going to town on it.
Same thing happened to me once with a torch. A peppermint shrimp attacked it as soon as I put the torch in the tank. Like two-fisting it--just ripping it apart. I figured he must be hungry so I chased him away and threw some food in. He didn't touch it again that I know of, but I soon switched tanks and when I did I moved the two shrimp to the sump. I didn't trust them anymore.

Most reef folks don't believe me when I tell them.