bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Hey guys ,, so I have finally got all three piece that i like. What us the best thing I can do to make it grow, add chemicals , specific types of bulbs to help grow etc.. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Excellent choices, I love corals that bring movement to the tank!

Because these corals have a hard skeleton it is important to keep your Ca/Alk & Mg (Mg is more important than many people think as it is what supports your Ca & Alk) at the proper parameters.

It's a good idea to test your freshly made up SW for these 3 parameters as some salt mixes have more or less of each ingredient than other salt mixes. Whichever of the 3 is not at the parameter you want is what you would need to dose to be sure you at always at your target.

Also keep in mind that if you have a tank with a lot of coralline algae, you will use more Ca in a tank like that, so testing is important too :)

All of these corals should be visibly gently moving in your flow but not whipping around too much. Mid level to lower placement is fine.
What type of lighting do you have on the tank?

The other thing that important is each of these have very powerful stinging capabilities!! :(So don't keep anything too close!! When they send out their feeder tentacles at night they can easily murder other corals nearby!!

Hope that helps :)

williah

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with the chems.

For food, I recommend you start growing and (heavy) dosing phytoplankton. The DT bottles I would buy started getting expensive so I started growing my own and dosing 2xday, 1- 1/2 cups per dose. My frogspawns, hammer and filter feeders exploded in growth after this (I don't have a torch-yet).

And I mean exploded. My 5 pieces grew from 2 heads each to 5-7 heads each, and big. It is awesome. This growth didn't happen until I started dosing the fresh/live phytoplankton daily.

I grow 2 - 2 liter bottles while I keep 2 in the fridge for feeding, and go through them in about 1 week - 10 days.

That's what I recommend for growth.

Oh, and this is controversial, but I also got rid of my skimmer and put in an algae turf scrubber, so that the phyto didn't just get skimmed out right away but existed in the tank. Many would argue with this choice, but I didn't see major growth in the Frogspawns and hammers until I made these changes.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: