Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
Phycopure. Great product.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Use Rods

Use Rods Food

When i feed my tank rods food i always see my gonis polyps pull in and then come out 10 min later.

I can only assume they are eating the phyto in the food.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
The greens are alot harder to keep then the reds. The greens tend to only live a year or so. The best way I have found to keep them alive is to pull them from my tank every 2 weeks, put them in a 20 gallon tank with a maxijet 400 and put enough home cultured phytoplankton in the tank to cloud the water. I leave them in for up to an hour then put them back in my tank. I also have them sitting on a fine sand bed in my tank with turbulent flow, not too hard though. I also found that any phytoplankton that you buy that has been refrigerated for more then a week is no longer live. This is why I culture my own. Hope this helps.

Dude I really loved this reply. What shocked me was the comment of the live phytoplankton products, dying well before their "expiration date". I've had alot of faith in Phycopure. I shake the stuff daily to make sure gravity doesnt cause the microscopic animals from suffocating themsleves. Are you sure about that man? Cuz I've been tempted to culture my own green water, possibly rotifers and up, as this whole ocean food chain has me fascinated (the biology geek in me). When my system was at its best, I had so much bio diversity in that fuge it became more interesting than my MT. It was like my system was running on live phytoplankton, just like in nature. But somehow a balance was disturbed and I no longer get mysis shrimp blooms, swarms of pods darting above the mud like so many gnats. I hope I can reestablish this full representation of the food chain again one day. As it is I have a 125 and a 225 filling up with RO water as i type this. But thats for another post :P

I will definetely be doing the same thing you do, with your goni's. One question though. Seeing as their is no feeding response (at least that I can see), when exactly are these animals feeding? Is it only when their tentacles are expanded? or can they be almost totally retracted and your 2 hour greenwater soak method work? Cuase I have a feeling if I move them, they will all retract.. ya know what, im gonna try this right now. With my possibly dead Phychopure. I'll letcha know what happens

thanks again man. Youre obviously a valauble source for expert advice.