JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Alright...so for the past few days or so I've been noticing that my LPS coral just isn't looking right...my Duncan more so than anything else really... The other night i noticed that a few heads were missing from the base area of the colony...and then again tonight it seems as though a few more heads are missing.... now I also have another smaller piece of this on the opposite side of the tank that i noticed tonight is missing a head... and another looks like it's hanging on by a thread.

I'm not really sure what would cause this... I checked my levels on everything and so far so good... everything is right where it should be.

In addition to the Duncan I also noticed that my trumpet is all "shriveled" and one of my hammer colonies is partially "shriveled" as well.

I actually dipped the hammer colony about a week ago because it was covered in a brown jelly.

nothing has really changed in the tank or out of the tank...all equipment is running correctly....lights are about a month old at this point (changed the bulbs).

No pests that I've seen and I scanned the tank for about 45 minutes tonight and last night

light cycle is 8 hours long (which it's always been for the 2 years this tank has been running)

I'm not sure if I am missing any information but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

not sure if this is related but when I dipped the hammer I also had to remove a large birdsnest colony that was hit with RTN.

I'm a loss here on what to do... and I'm concerned I'll lose the entire colony which is over 150 heads.

I dose regularly so everything stays pretty even ... no dips in any alk, calc, mag...etc..... I do water changes every week to week and a half....the tank is 125 gal and I usually do about 25 gal - 30 gal water changes.

Thanks,
Joe

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Its possible that the brown jelly crap infected all the pieces of LPS. I had an outbreak of that sh* t when I had my 75 setup. I lost duncans, frogspawn and my favorite orange wall hammer. I tried treating it with no success. Brown jelly is a bacterial infection that is usually caused by a wound. It seats itself between the flesh and skeleton and it is contagious to other LPS. I never got around to finding the treatment for it that worked. I wound up breaking down the tank because I was moving anyway and couldn't take the livestock with me. Good luck with it, sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Meadowlane

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
+1. It's the brown jelly. It affects lps. I had that 2 mos ago on the Duncan's I bought from you. I took a paper towel and wiped it off. And I tried not to dislodge the jelly in the water. If it gets dislodge, it will affect the others. What I read from article is you need to frag the healthy ones from the main colony or it will kill it all. Sorry to here that you have that bacteria.

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i took the hammer out with all pumps off and dipped it in coral revive by two little fish.

it didn't look like any of the jelly came off :/ ... i'm a loss here... i think i'll dip the duncan when i get home from work today in hopes that it will take care of the issue. however i'm leaving for a work trip on friday and am now scared that i'm going to come back to a catostrophic situation.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
keep it up, try using a turkey baster and blast off the jelly gently, also if u have a separate tank, i would just keep all of those affected there for a bit just so it wont invade the other lps in the tank

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i inspected the duncan pretty thoroughly and didn't see any traces of brown jelly on either pieces... however target feeding can't hurt... unfortunately i don't have a seperate tank... i just took it down recently because i never used it ... go figure... just my luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: