Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I live in Manhattan and would like to create a few custom aquariums.

I have contacted a number of vendors and have a few quotes, but am looking for the best price.

Does anyone know of any glass shops or aquarium stores that create custom aquariums for a good price... either online or in Manhattan?

Thank you!
Jeff

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
glasscages

How anyone could suggest that glasscages is a worth contacting is beyond me.

low price is great , but when you consider that the owner of glasscages is well know.. hobby wide as a big jerk.. price doesnt matter..

Take my advice pay a little more and get your tanks made by a place with a great reputation for customer service.

stunner620

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How anyone could suggest that glasscages is a worth contacting is beyond me.

low price is great , but when you consider that the owner of glasscages is well know.. hobby wide as a big jerk.. price doesnt matter..

Take my advice pay a little more and get your tanks made by a place with a great reputation for customer service.

like??

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have never purcased one so I dont like to give advice on the subject of where I would buy. but I sure would not goto GC.

I would call these 3 first i guess

House fo fins

Total aquariums

Manhattan aquariums

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I have never purcased one so I dont like to give advice on the subject of where I would buy. but I sure would not goto GC.

I would call these 3 first i guess

House fo fins

Total aquariums

Manhattan aquariums

Whats with all the bashing on GC? Especially if you have never owned one?

Since I have owned one, I will say that it was a fine tank, and for the price was a great tank. Never really had any issues with it, and i know a couple other people on the site who have glasscages tanks that have had no issues.

Where are you getting your info from?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Jerk or not, your going to spend 15-40% more going elsewhere for just the tank minus stand and stuff. Manhattan Aquariums, house of fins, total aquariums and other vendors are going to upcharge for their custom tanks. If your looking for a package deal with stand, hood, equipment and setup then go to these places or the other vendors here. If you just need the tank and need a few then go GC, miracles, or the other custom tank builders.

GC customer service sucks most times, but there are way more happy customers than unhappy ones.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
6a010535f11c3d970c0134877fded8970c-500wi

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126515

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/us-store-reviews/53997-glass-cages-experiences.html

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2010/09/review-glasscages-aquarium-builders.html

also have alook at thier warranty...if you can call it that.

http://glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty

do I need to go on... google glasscages reviews...

I also do work on alot of aquariums I have seen and heard the problems first hand.

my advice is sound dont risk it.

Or google one of the places I mentioned and see how many bad reviews they have..

bdirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i purchased from gc 2 yrs ago nothing wrong yet knock on wood
there a little messy with there caulking but over all good for the price i have a 190 gallon custom with starphire glass

blade took care care of the excess caulk

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
If you have seen any problems with GC tanks first hand, could you tell me what they were? The only negative things I have heard about them (other than crappy silicone, which is true, but can be fixed with 30 minutes and a razorblade) have been second hand. I have yet to meet someone who has actually had a problem with them personally.

I know there are a bunch of members here who have GC tanks and have not had any issues. FWIW, the only tank I personally know of that sprung a leak was by AO or Miracles (i forget which).

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Good luck on the custom build of a tank. I get scared, when I read about some of the tanks built end up leaking after a few months, etc.

I have a plain ( very old 55 gallon glass tank) that is over 20 years old and still no problems. Also, has been moved several times, etc. So just do your research. I read about one build, where the tank had leaked and it was less than 6 months old. That is something you don't want.

I could just imagine a heart attack, if I had a leak like that...

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I bought a sump from GC for my 180 when I was setting that up. The weldon looks as if it was poured on. The cuts are rough and it looked like garbage. Yes, CG customer service is beyond horrible, its atrocious.
The sump leaked from the get go. Which im still amaszed at. With the all the Weldon 16 used, I thought it was imposable.
They wanted me to ship the sump back for inspection.
It was easier to apply more Weldon 16 and make the repairs my self.
Needless to say that sump made its way out of the hobby.
My buddy got a 150 made from them also. I have seen it first hand and have felt it. That tank is a silicon nightmare. The overflow is all glass with a black acrylic cover. So all the garbage gets stuck behind the cover and rots.
Talk to enough people with custom tanks and you will hear more bad reviews then good.
CG should stick to reptile tanks.
I will say coast to coast in Lakewood, NJ makes some awesome custom tanks.
I’m pretty sure I’ll be using them to build my new tank. That is unless some other company can build a tank nicer and more aesthetically pleasing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: