• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nautilus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If you ever have rising temperature on your small tank and cant afford to have chiller, try Donjoy Iceman. I have 34g Solana and thats what I use, could be temporary until i could afford another chiller. Put the pad on the sump and control the output for temp. If it doesnt leach and chemical ( from rubber pads) then It will be permanent. Economical and you just need an ice cubes. Ebay is the right place to shop.

nautilus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It delivers cold water to the rubber pad, which is immersed in tanks sump. I heard people putting ice bag on their tank just to lower temp. Thermal conductivity. So far it works.

earthguy00

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Temperature control

I too have a Oceanic 29G Bio Cube and when all light are on with hoods closed I get 82 degrees.

The electricity bill should be about the same if you were to use the AC unit in your home during the summer if you didn't want to go with a chiller. At least your home will be cool when coming back from outside. lol.

In winter time if you don't have central cooling etc. like my home, I purchased a powerful small fan they use for the nail salons. These are industrial grade and are very powerful.

Just tilt them into the tank with the back lid up and your temps will come down to a steady 78 degrees!

I bought 2 units since they were only $10. And it may be enough during 90 degree or less days during the summer as when I tried both of them on it came down to at least 74 degrees.

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I too have a Oceanic 29G Bio Cube and when all light are on with hoods closed I get 82 degrees.

The electricity bill should be about the same if you were to use the AC unit in your home during the summer if you didn't want to go with a chiller. At least your home will be cool when coming back from outside. lol.

In winter time if you don't have central cooling etc. like my home, I purchased a powerful small fan they use for the nail salons. These are industrial grade and are very powerful.

Just tilt them into the tank with the back lid up and your temps will come down to a steady 78 degrees!

I bought 2 units since they were only $10. And it may be enough during 90 degree or less days during the summer as when I tried both of them on it came down to at least 74 degrees.

Can you post a link of which fans you have. I have a JBJ 28g and my tank reaches 82F and sometimes even 83.5F. Cant afford a chiller.

earthguy00

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
No link.
It's a store in chinatown, Manhattan.
Unfortunately, do not know the name.
But, it is towards the end of the manhattan bridge.
It is a nail supply store.
Only within 2 blocks at the end of the bridge.
toward elizabeth st.
The fans are called seiko.
Sorry I don't know the name or the exact address.
You can try googling the nail supply stores in chinatown as
there aren't many in that location.

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: