Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Updated Pics - 01-22/12

After giving up the hobby a few years back, I decided to venture back in.
This time, I went almost as small as you could go. Decided to get an Edge because of the clean look and the many amazing setups I saw on various forums.

Well, after about 2 months of reading various threads on this forum, I finally fine tuned the system to where I can say I am satisfied with the outcome.

Here are some pics of my setup. These pics were taken after upgrading my lighting to Wingo's LED Savior fixture.

Comments and questions welcome. Maybe someone can help me identify my zoas..lol

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I will upgrade you one more time, the new version with wider coverage and fans are ready.

No code has to be inserted here.If schedule allows tonight, we can switch it to the new one as a Thanks Giving Gift

Question: Do you think you would prefer slightly more blue and less white when fully power up? I am thinking of removing one center white LED and replace it with blue if more people prefer that combo.

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Can't wait to see the new fixture..

My two top pics are actually from my Mr 16 bulb.it looks really white because it overpowered my blue led strips.
I think the 3 blue leds in your fixture should be fine.I like the blue look but not sure if removing the center white led for another blue one would be too blue.As is, I think the tank looks more blue than white..if you are able to see the tank in person, you will have a better idea.

What time were you thinking tonight? If timing does not permit, we can try for tomorrow or this weekend.shoot me an email or text when you are ready..

Happy Thanksgiving!

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Good start.
Maybe add a little more height on the LR piles.
I used to have the magfloat nano too in my tank but got rid of it since the 2 little fishies nano mag are much thinner.
We know how important the space is in the edge.:)
It really is hard to get good coverage on lighting the corners with the edge stock hood.
Post pics of the upgrade when Wingo does it for you.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Looking good!!!!

I second the nano mag. Great for those tight spaces!
Also to Elaborate on Jeff's sugg. More varied height. Maybe with ledges.
To shield the corals that don't like the light.

I found that a a concave shape works well too. (what I did for now)
And outside edges, left and right coming forward.
Fit more coral in too.

-joe
Ie. curved with the back near the back wall of the tank

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Great suggestions. I played around with the live rock for quite a bit..I tried getting that concave look with edges on both sides coming forward but I felt my pieces were not compatible with this arrangement. I will reattempt this arrangement this weekend because I would love to get the 3 head torch in the back so its not blocking the view.

I like the idea of shielding some of the corals. I notice my Ricordea is trying to unattach itself from the plug it is on...maybe this is due to insufficient or too much lighting..it seems temperamental..lol

Will definitely look into the mag..didn't think they came any smaller..lol

Edge..

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Newly updated pics

I removed the pics from the first post and attached these newly updated Pics.

Wingo made some nice modifications to the LED Savior (better spread and fan additions) and was even nice enough to come over and set it up. Even helped redesign the aquascape --- Thanks Wingo!!

Enjoy these new set of pics.

Edge

Attachments

• DSC00771.JPG
    DSC00771.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 4,071
  • DSC00772.JPG
    DSC00772.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC00776.JPG
    DSC00776.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC00777.JPG
    DSC00777.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,173
  • DSC00778.JPG
    DSC00778.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,186

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Great development so far on your tank. keep em pics coming. :biggrin:
I've seen the new savior led from wingo.
He dropped by my place a few days ago to pick up some endler's I was giving away and he brought a sample of the new savior led.
Light looks good. Light spread is fair (really hard to get the edge's corners).
Makes me think of getting one but the wife will definitely kill me if i upgrade the lights once again plus I'm planning on a Mr Aqua 12gallon long rimless tank to replace the edge .

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Thanks Constantine.

Thanks Jeffvmd. It is hard to get the edges of the tank while keeping the stock look but I think Wingo did a great job. I am satisfied with the outcome. I hope you keep your edge and get the 12 gallon..lol..I know what you mean by "the wife will kill me..." ;)

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks Constantine.

Thanks Jeffvmd. It is hard to get the edges of the tank while keeping the stock look but I think Wingo did a great job. I am satisfied with the outcome. I hope you keep your edge and get the 12 gallon..lol..I know what you mean by "the wife will kill me..." ;)

I am not sure Jeff's wife:shhh: but it seem your wife is very supportive of you in improving the tank.:sgrin:

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
beautiful tank! very similar to how I wanna have my edge setup looking in the near future...

Thanks...It's still a work in progress but decided not to add anything until next year..budget has been tapped..lol

Good luck with your build. Ask as many questions. First thing to consider is lighting options. Wingo (Aqua Pro Builder) on this forum does some nice LED mods.

JeremyXXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I have tried and still have 2 of those MR16 bulbs from ledwholesalers. Truth be told, they are bright but I don't think they are the right intensity for corals. While using them, I noticed my corals had lost color and were merely surviving. I was using that together with blue and white SME Led strips.

After switching to Wingo's LED fixture, my corals have regained color and are growing substantially.

As for splash guard, if you still decide to go with those LED bulbs, I bought a piece of plexi glass and cut to fit the opening of the Edge. I gave the 6 gallon fluval edge. I am not sure which one you are looking to get.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: