btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
the wife and i have been tossing around the idea of nano for my baby girl's room. she had thought of possibly doing something different and out of the ordinary. i tried to be the reasonable one and say to just do a clown and anemone.

last night at the lira meeting i purchased an 8 gallon bio cube from a fellow reefer/club member wally. (great guy, very helpful)
so i thought i still had time to decide what to put in this tank...
not even 24 hours later i am at aqua hut and i had seen a baby octopus.

so i purchased this amazing creature. i do understand they don't have a very long life span, are escape artists, and are very intelligent.
i have been reading up them as much as i can. yes i will have to make the tank octopus capable..... bolt down the hatches and make sure he is more then happy with his new home. good news a few minutes after acclimation he ate one whole ghost shrimp. my goal is to get it to at least eat frozen and move him into a larger tank possibly a 20gallon. i haven't determined its genus, we think it is either a briarus, bimaculatus, or joubini.

any input from experienced octopus owners welcome!

i have already started to modify the tank in preparation for our 8 armed friend.
8 gal bio cube soaking/cleaning
DSC05250.jpg

hood led mod ... i am keeping it on the blue side. since he nocturnal i feel like this is a better choice in lighting instead of the stock pcs.
IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

next...... some kind of latch to keep the top front flap down and the hood down.

LongPig

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amazing creatures. A buddy of mine owned one and we made his tank escape proof with a sheet of plexi that we cut out for arm access then made a slightly larger door to go over that hole secured with nylon bolts and nylon wingnuts.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Thanks for the advice.

Update. Finally have the tank setup for about a week or so and acclimated the octopus in there. He has still been hiding in a cave , still very small, since we purchased him. I do still see him move and change color but he doesn't come all the way out while I am observing him. He is eating so that's a plus. Pics will hopefully be posted tonight.

jck16

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey, great idea for a nano! I love unusual tanks and have often wondered what it'd be like to keep an octopus. Just a suggestion but I'm sure the octopus will appreciate live foods esp. ghost shrimp and those asian shore crabs. If you live out in Long Island I think there are a good number of places to go catch them once it warms up. I've found them at Oyster Bay and Huntington beach at times but if you know any good spots too let me know. Or you can order some from Diamonds of the Reef too.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Hey, great idea for a nano! I love unusual tanks and have often wondered what it'd be like to keep an octopus. Just a suggestion but I'm sure the octopus will appreciate live foods esp. ghost shrimp and those asian shore crabs. If you live out in Long Island I think there are a good number of places to go catch them once it warms up. I've found them at Oyster Bay and Huntington beach at times but if you know any good spots too let me know. Or you can order some from Diamonds of the Reef too.

Asian crabs are easy to get. Plenty on northshore. Lift some rocks and grab them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
well i have blue leds on this tank taking pictures are not easy. this octopus hides all the time too. i put rocks in there for him that are loaded with pods too so at least the ghost shrimp i am feeding him can at least fatten up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: