james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
so iv been treating one of my clowns for ick the past week with "Kick-ich" but yesterday i did a 2 1/5 gallon water change on my 9gallon nano and now today both of my clowns have more white spots than every before.

what caused this the water change? the stress? what should I do, thanks

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I've been through this do many times.. Hyposalinity is the only way for me

Plus one with hyposalinty! It might be to late to save the other clown at this point and fresh water dip might stress him to much, if you have a Qt tank I put him in there with the other fish who have it and would get salinity down to 1.009 over the next 2 days from 1.025 that reef tanks are
To much of a drop at once can also kill

Andyv2004

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Ich

Transfer all fish to a QT and let the tank go fallow for 6-8 weeks. Hyposalinity for the fish like the last fellow reefer posted. Ich is a parasite and can only live if a host is present. Lots of luck getting rid of those little fudge head parasites. You can do with a little patience. Sincerly, Andy:sad2:

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
lost the other clown moments ago, besides the fact that I paid $115 for the ORA snowflake, its heartbreaking watching the little dude die. Im trying very hard on my this 9gal tank and tend to it everyday. not sure why this happened, the ick broke out after adding a fire shrimp to the tank. the shrimp died off after about a week, then the two clowns today.

im trying to pin point the issue so i can learn from it. can anybody help? Im adding a 10gallon sump/fuge so i hope the added water and the added biofilitration helps the small tank in general

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
It really does suck.. But u can get ich from just about anything u add to your tank unless you put it in a fish less qt for at least 6 weeks.. I usually watch my corals and inverts for a good month... Never had any issues since taking this approach.. I think qt is the most important step or thing to do in this hobby.. It will save u a lot of times from being depressed.. Just sux waiting for stuff in qt!

DeeFromBrooklyn

Reef Nut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Change Check List:

Water used - Hopefully not tap water. If so make sure it has been dechlorinated
Water Temp - Should be the same as the tank temp
Salinity - Check salinity after letting the water sit for at least an hour after mixing salt
PH/ Alkalinity - These levels need to match the tank or a drastic change can gravely affect your fish
Try to keep this practice consistant and your should not be running the risk of Ick everytime you change water

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
Make sure to use a TDS meter for your RO water. Once you acclimate your fish, just dunk ur fish, not the water that came with it. Clowns are pretty hardy... they don't catch ich as easily as other fish... all you need is to put them in hyposalinity (gradually higher ur salinity) or if you detect them fast enough, treat them with pimafix in a QT. Simple cure.

DeeFromBrooklyn

Reef Nut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that dipping your fish in a metholyne Blue or Melafix for about 15 minutes prior to adding them to my system has prevented any unwanted sickness or parasites from entering my systems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: