STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
So i made the decision to do an LED upgrade to my Biocube. I went with the Rapid full spectrum solderless kit with the dimming option and the basic three channel dimmer. I will say the final outcome is nice. The lights really give me the pop and color i was looking for and everything fits neatly under the stock hood. ALTHOUGH that being said i must comment on the installation process. It took me a long time (Like 5 HOURS TOTAL) to complete the installation. There were numerous pitfalls and things Rapid could have done before they sent the kit out. First they could have easily mounted the LEDs to the heatsink and ran the wires from light to light (now I know different people want the lights laid out differently but that could be a do it yourself option) its a real pain spacing them out and then trying to get the short little wires to reach from tile to tile. Next much of the wiring that you have to do could be taken care of at the factory. Wiring the very thin wires from the dimmer to the drivers was a real pain and nothing is color coded in any way that i could discern. Also the driver for the light that carries the UV and Red lights needs to be set at a maximum output which requires you to open the driver and adjust the setting with the use of a multimeter ($30 at Home Depot not bad but wish i knew before i started). Also they give you NO WIRING DIAGRAM at all and theres nothing online to show how to do it so its trial and error until the lights work. And lastly they don't give you enough connecting hardware to wire everything up. You'll need wire nuts, wire strippers, electrical tape, shrink tubing, ect.... to get the job done correctly. That all being said this is by no means an easy kit to install and I feel that Rapid should either charge more money and make this kit more plug and play or let you know in advance that quite a bit of work and electrical knowhow is needed to install this kit as they sell it now. When i spoke with the rep from Rapid i was led to believe this was a simple install and believe me it is not. But once again i love the way my tank looks all my corals look great and I'm getting lots of shimmer in my tank. Just my two cents. Oh and by the way I have all the guts for anyone who wants them for the CFL for the Biocube. Two bulbs (4 months old 10K and actinic) driver and the hardware it took off free for anyone to pickup in Canarsie or Babylon.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade.

I just learned this week that old CFL bulbs will cause Green hair algae to grow. I have a reefer nano cube setup with a very old JBJ29 hood over it. Would your bulbs work in it? If so, I'm interested.
Thanks.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Bulbs

Here they are. I actually have two sets of bulbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 406

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: