Status
Not open for further replies.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Aquatic Obsession in Avenel, Ocean Gallery II in North Plainfield, Red Sand in Dunellen, Absolutely Fish in Clifton, Diamond of the Reef if you want healthy quarantined fish, but it is not a store front.

Those are the main ones I go to since they're only about 20-35 minutes away. Others include tropaquarium, reefencounters, reef to reptiles.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Tropaquarium is well-stocked and the livestock is healthy but they charge Manhattan prices. I have been to Reef to Reptiles twice and both times they had very little stock. + 1 on the other places - Aquatic Obsessions and Ocean Gallery II are my two favorites.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I was in reef encounter today and they're improving. I like the direction the store is going in.

Reef to reptiles had lots of frags cheap. Ocean gallery's fish look sick, but they have decent corals.

Aquatic obsession has nice frags & fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Absolutely fish is probably the best one in NJ I've been to. Large fish selection and a bunch of coral. Their coral is a bit overpriced but if you look long enough you'll find a decent deal on some things. I was there on Friday and the fish selection was great. But $200 for 2 heads of aussie hammer is not reasonable (even though it was a gorgeous piece). But when searching around the tanks for long enough I found a rock of blue tubbs zoas, probably about 70+ heads on it for $25. So there are deals to be had.
Ocean Gallery is another nice place. They usually don't have a lot of fish, but they have a good selection of coral, most of it is reasonably priced.

isakofyork001

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
the best place to get fish is "AQUA OCEANS" down in toms river, i've been to most of the places people are talking about, "AQUA OCEANS" has the best prices on fish and corals. he has been doing it for almost 30 yrs. if he don't have it ask him and can get it, he only gets good fish and corals in.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's been almost 2 years since I left but I've been to them all and Absolutely Fish was consistently the best quality livestock.

You may pay a little more but the selection is always great and everything is always healthy.

It's one of the things I miss most about NJ.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey fellow NJ reefers! I recognize a few names from the NJRC forums here. Figured I had to branch out a little.

I just started my reef about a month ago but have been visiting the LFS' around here for years. As far as freshwater went, I always preferred Pet Shanty but they are pretty sparse when it comes to the saltwater section. I had avoided Ocean Gallery for years after an.... incident a while ago but was very surprised when I went back after I started my reef. They expanded their salt section to the biggest i have seen around here. They have some pretty nice corals and fish and their prices aren't half bad either. I picked up a really nice zoa there over the weekend for $25.
My other go-to place around here is Red Sand. If for no other reason than to visit Feng. He is an awesome guy and as far as I can tell, once you get to know him, you can get some pretty good deals out of him. I have also spent far too much time staring at his amazing display tank over the past month.
I tried Aquatic Obsessions once and it must have been the day before they got their order in because it was pretty sparse in the fish department. They did have some nice frags but they did seem to be on the expensive side.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yeah, he did that with some corals for me. They started out at $80 for two pieces and I ended up paying $40 for both of them.
I just checked out Absolutely Fish and it looks like about a 45 min. trip for me. I may have to go take a look there.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
OG-Brian is a kool guy and also gives discounts on things if you are a member on here. as far as corals go, he has a lot of limited edition stuff, some good prices, some higher priced.
ABSO-its a hit or miss. a lot of times you can find great deals in the 24.99 or 39.99 tank. fish are definitely healthy here. equipment, i try not to get from here because its more expensive than annywhere else.
REEF ENC-they are nice people. very helpful. theres one young guy that knows about corals, and hes learning more about sps. you can also negotiate with them sometimes. and yes they have been improving their coral section. new LEDs and new tanks just for corals. prices are ok.
RED SAND- feng. evreryone whos been in here know that you wont spend less that 1 hour because y ou end up talking to feng forever!! great prices that cant be beat on frags!! he doesnt really care about names, only about size of the frags. most of his frags are from his own tank. prices are also negotiable based on how much you spend.
AQ OB-ive only been here once, but they are good guys from what ive heard. nice frags at ok prices.

recently ive been gettin my corals from other members. if they have a healthy tank, and i know their parameters and what filtration they are using, as well as lighting. then i know it is safe to get frags from them. and i ALWAYS dip anyway. hope this helped.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If you want to know which is the right for you visit them all and decide for yourself. I've found that everyone you ask will have a different experience with each staore and may prefer a different one than you.

I have been going to all for some time now, but visit Aquatic obsession frequently. Will is a great person to deal with, and when the store is fully stocked it can't be beat.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you want to know which is the right for you visit them all and decide for yourself. I've found that everyone you ask will have a different experience with each store and may prefer a different one than you.

Well said and a great way to end a thread after a drama queen cleanup.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not let these store owners and employees ruin any more threads. Why are they too scared to let us know exactly who they are? Why are they not up front with us? WHY DO THEY START INSULTING EACH OTHER AND RUIN THREADS? I have a little notepad with a list of the names of these stores that have caused drama here and update it everyday. The list is for one reason, I will never set foot in any one of their stores. The reason? They have caused drama here in a community that I love. My advice to you, patronize the Non Drama Queens and the great vendors and sponsors here and let the LFSDQ's dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: