garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
good luck with the chewing get her a kong and fill it with something like peanut butter that might help

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 96

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
What the?!?!

LOL<--- I know it's not funny but talk about classic pit attitude, forget those prissy little toys I'M GONNA CHEW ON THE CAR!!!!!!

Exactly!! "What the?!?!" is exactly what we all said!!!

Yeah, that's our Athena! Walls, moldings, dinning table legs, china cabinet, fence, and then the car!:skull::skull::skull:

She has a few kong toys that she totally ignores.:letitallo You want to kill her, but then she gives you that look ~ "Did I do something wrong? You don't like my new decor?" ~ And you end up blaming yourself for not giving her enough attention.

Thank you Angelo & fishman!

garys reef, your dog is gorgeous! He looks a lot like our Havic.;) What breed is he/she? Looks like a male.;)

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Maybe consider a dog running mill and/or a spring pole. Sometimes the best thing for dogs that have a hard time behaving is a grueling workout to excorcise some demons. =) I know that after i get a workout in, I feel more at peace (not that that's happened in a while but I remember how it felt). Same goes for most high energy or high anxiety dogs. My dog wore my last mill out and I have to get him a new one. I can't mention the word "treadmill" without him running to where it used to be and losing his mind. If you do consider getting a mill, please LMK or someone who is experienced in getting her to take to aadf mill safely so she quickly learns to enjoy it and so that you know what to avoid when picking a mill out.

I have a spring-pole (basically the only way you can play tug-o-war with a big dog so your arm doesn't fall off) attatched to the bottom of my balcony. My dog will spend 2 hours easy on it without ever touching the ground. He has a ball jumping up about 6ft in the air to grab on and then he bucks, crunches and swings his body so he goes up and down and in circles like we may have done on a "tire swing" as kids. He has a full body workout and he loves it so much that the only way you're getting him off is with a parting stick. It's a tug-o-war rope for a dog that is attached to a garage door spring that hangs from my deck. There is no way I could take his 50-60 pounds for 2 hours while holding on to the other end. He's stronger than the biggest dogs I've ever been around with a lot more heart & drive. I think I'm going to need my rotator cuffs done as it is. =)
People don't always think it's cute when they see him playing like that but if it were a Jack Russel having a ball like that they would. =)

High anxiety can be a kicker sometimes with really hard headed, stubborn dogs but if you're lucky enough to figure out what will keep her calm and let her have fun doing it then it makes things easier usually.

If you can take it, another really good method is to train or encourage your dog to pull like mad when you take her for a walk. For every mile that you walk, whe has to walk 3 because she's pulling you too. Some people like to use a harness but it can sometimes be hard to control your dogs head in a close with another dog if one is unaccepting of the other. They make very wide high quality collars that are made out of "seatbelt" material that offer a wide flat area instead of a narrow one that can do damage to their necks and pinch veins & probably their esophagus. I think u can get them in 2", 3" and 4" widths if teaching your dog to pull is for you.

She's a beautiful pup. Best of luck with her gnawing.

PS: Dogs that have intense biting power can usually bite through a kong so easily that it can end in a vet visit and/or a lot worse. IMO they're a really bad idea. Once they swallow a piece they can possibly choke on it or get it lodged in their intestine and trust me, that can suck big time. My dogs usually destroy kongs in a few minutes so I don't even bother. A better option is a Cow bone or huge chunks of marrow bones but be sure to take them away when after a while so your dog doesn't risk splintering off a piece or wearing it down so much that they can actually break it apart. They're usually so thick that you get a good amount of time out of them. I give mine marrow bones and entire cow femurs (meat & all) and it's best not to cock them because, (1) the raw meat and fat is great for them and (2) cooking them can weaken the bone and make them easier to splinter. Another reason you want to limit bone chewing is so that they don't wear away their teeth. Some will chew so much that they can lose their teeth at very young ages.

Attachments

• 832.jpg
    832.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20101015_100020.jpg
    IMG_20101015_100020.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
rcharliesam, thank you! She is very pretty.;)
Wingo, should I show you what my cat has done.LOL

Reef Fixations, thanks for all the tips! She is getting way better. Most of the damage was done during her teething stage. She is now 16 1/2 months old, and only chewing my daughter's car mirror when hubby puts her out either by herself, or leaves her out to long. Yes, hubby is also in training.LOL We keep telling him what & how to deal with not only Athena, but the other 2 pits. I think he is way more hard headed then any of our pits. My daughter's car: well that is another story altogether. The car was only to be in our driveway for 2 months top!! It's now 2+ years, and even after repeatedly telling her to get it out it is still there.arggggggggggggggg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: