Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Pros and cons for de-clawing a cat

All my cats I had since I am a baby have full claws on them.

But lately I was told that de-pawing a cat will improve the relations between the cats and us(including guests) and thus the cat will receive more love.

What you think? :scratch:

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Depending on the method used to declaw the cat. There are a couple of methods that seem very cruel, but there is a laser method that is less traumatic.
Thinking about getting one also, but Im not going to sacrifice my furniture to their scratching fetish.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
if one is worried about his/her nice furniture...than don't have animals and stick with fish tanks. I have two Sphynx cats that turn everything brown because of their lack of hair...should i skin them? Animals make a mess and ruin things, if not interested (i understand) stick with tanks only. I myself see not one REAL reason to de-claw a cat. Lets remove your finger nails first, then you can remove your pets nails too. Just sticking up for a defenseless cat that wants and needs its nails...

I have a 10 year old chihuahua too...wont even go there

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
whats the cat doing that is making u consider the procedure to begin with?

Nothing. I am not considering to de-claw my kitten but the topic came up while I was considering to neuter my kitten next week(I never neuter nor spray any of my cats in the past either but someone said something about the cancer part that I should consider.) I can tolerate my cat scratch me once a while when he falls off my shoulder or thigh from a bad jump. He knows to withdraw all his claws when he try to jump on my shoulder when I bring him to walk around and same when he uses my thigh as a spring board to the desk where he can watch me play games or work on the LEDs.

The only problem with my kitten is he chews on EVERYTHING(playfully) except Awi's car :lol_large.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Your cat will be healthier if it is neutered, it will also not be prone to roaming around the neighborhood and possibly getting struck by a car (I hope you keep that adorable kitten indoors!). Nor will it ever be able to expand the cat population while they are putting so many in shelters to sleep :(

For those of you with cats with claws - they DO have little rubber claw covers that stay on for quite some time if you worry about your furniture. Check with your vet.
They also sell scratching posts for cats. I've never had a cat that clawed my furniture.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
most cats will destroy the side of a couch, lol...and most cats will ignore a scratching post, luckily one of mine uses his post every morning. The other one uses, yep that's right, my TV speaker screen cover and my sneakers.

Just wanted to throw this out there...i have no issue with cropping of ears and tails of dogs done by a vet. Is that hypocritical of me?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Response in Blue

Your cat will be healthier if it is neutered, it will also not be prone to roaming around the neighborhood and possibly getting struck by a car (I hope you keep that adorable kitten indoors!).

I almost tear when I read that because I just heard the friendly cat next door to the left of my house was found struck dead by the side of the service road this afternoon. It has been visiting my two houses almost daily for over 2 3 years. Almost all the tenants in the 3 houses love him.

Nor will it ever be able to expand the cat population while they are putting so many in shelters to sleep :(

For those of you with cats with claws - they DO have little rubber claw covers that stay on for quite some time if you worry about your furniture. Check with your vet. I am curious to what it looks like and will check on the web even though it's unlikely I will be using it. As I find it fun when I clip the nails of my kitten when he is asleep-it's like drawing on some one's face when he/she is asleep :sgrin:.
They also sell scratching posts for cats. I've never had a cat that clawed my furniture.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Wingo, please do have your kitten neutered. Like others, I also have thought of de-clawing my cats, but just can't do it. The back & side of my couch is destroyed even with scratching posts, and other scratching toys. I had one cat declawed years ago, and it was awful watching it walk for a month or so. You could actually see how painful it was for the poor cat to walk.
Post a pic of that beautiful kitty of yours!!! He is so darn cute......................;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: