beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My guess is you're double NAT'ing or having DNS issues.

Make sure that DNS and DHCP are only enabled on one device. Keep everything on a single subnet and make sure that your DHCP scope doesn't encompass any of the actual network devices.

That said, home networking devices of different manufacturers often operate on different protocols and standards and sometimes just won't work together. Usually you can rig it, but sometimes it's just not possible.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
My guess is you're double NAT'ing or having DNS issues.

Make sure that DNS and DHCP are only enabled on one device. Keep everything on a single subnet and make sure that your DHCP scope doesn't encompass any of the actual network devices.

That said, home networking devices of different manufacturers often operate on different protocols and standards and sometimes just won't work together. Usually you can rig it, but sometimes it's just not possible.

+1... This would be my guess too ... IF, I had a clue as to what you're talking about!
:)

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I am not sure how to traceroute or ping by name. I will look those two things up. I basically plug a device into the second router (the one connected to AP) and was able to ping the AP and main router. However this was with WDS now I am trying without WDS. One thing that has me a bit confused is that the dd-wrt settings are a bit different then the tplink settings on AP. In other words I am trying to get them the same but the options aren't exactly the same so not positive I am doing it all correct. However without WDS or dd-wrt I can't get the second to act as a repeater bridge.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Pinging by name will help identify DNS issues.

Try:

ping google.com
ping 74.125.224.72

If the IP address works and the name fails, you'll know that you have a DNS problem. If both work, you're online. If neither works...

Tracerouting will tell you where the signal is dropping.

From cmd prompt: tracert <IP ADDRESS>

Make successive traceroute tests from external IP addresses to internal IP addresses. If it times out, you'll know where the signal is getting lost and begin to eliminate potential problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: