Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey guys i need a little help and guidance.

I measured my torsion springs and came up with these numbers

.225 wire size
29 1/4" long
1 3/4" ID

Im thinking its undersized for my garage door. Its a double door at 8' height and 16' width.

Does anyone know which size i would need for the weight of my door. (I do not have a reg. scale so i can't weight it). The door is really heavy. (i would think 130lb each side torsion spring would be perfect.)

Just as a note it was a tough job opening it with the existing torsion springs when i dislodged the garage door opener and lifted it myself.

I need to get this really fast so I'm thinking just to stop by a garage shop near me (20 min away) or order with 2 or next day shipping.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
home depot carries them.
they are color coded according to tension. see what color you have, hd has a chart so move up a notch.
make sure you buy the safety cables.
im assuming you have the springs on the side not over head.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Nobody knows any reputable dealers online? I got a quote from a few companies (I wanted to laugh a little).

1st company - $350.00
2nd company - $325.00
3rd company - $400.00

:scratchch :knockedou

its an hour job at most and not hard to do at all.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Dude! Do not replace torsion springs if you've never done them! You can end up hurt. The springs are mounted at the center and then a line of chalk is drawn straight across each side. There are these little screws that are on the outer ends that your not going to tighten until you've used steel dowels to twist the spring until that straight chalk line I told you about actually spirals 8-10 times. (Amazing what you can learn reading these as apple caps). It's not brain science but you'll need surgery if your not ready every step along the way. A door that size requires 2 people usually and the goal is to make the door feel light enough that your automatic opener doesn't have to move much weight

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Also it's odd that they'd both break,,did you see a snapped spring on both sides or is the door really heavy, you might just have to do the chalk line and re tighten the 4 bolts again

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
It's not dangerous at all. Just have to watch your steps and do it right. Plenty of videos on YouTube that taught me how.

Both spring have broken apart. The door is extremely heavy. The springs are 12 years old and def. Have outlived the life expectancy. I ordered them on eBay from a reputable seller with 100% rating and will be getting them next week.

They have been failing for a while now. If I stopped the garage door any less then 1/2 way the door would slide back down slowly. Didn't know any of this until I researched it on YouTube.

Last edited:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
When I was in high school I spent the summer installing garage doors. I remember the tightening of torsion springs being the most dangerous, u don't get the stick in the hole securely before you take out the previous one and,,,,, oh, you said you saw a YouTube video! Your fine.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
All done and working perfect... :)

35C7AB77-65CD-4FE0-9A25-FEB13147D0C4-3450-000001FB07363890_zps6d4d9a9b.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: