nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I'm at it again and looking to refinish my hard wood floors. Sanding and staining I can do with no problem at all. I'm a little more cautious about the best way to apply polyurathane to the floor, particularly the first coat to make sure I get a pit and bubble free finish.

Anyone deal with this stuff on a regular basis? Looking for tips on how to get the smoothest finish possible.

Doesn't have to be perfect, since I know it won't last forever with my dog running around all day.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i refinished my floors. i used a drum sander, and you have to keep it moving or it will leave indents. if they make another kind i would use that.
i used satin finish so it hides imperfections and i like the look, gloss will show all your sanding errors, dust etc.
first i stained, applying with a rag and wiping off excess. then i used a mop made for applying poly. i thought it would leave all kinds of marks but they work great and fast.
don't use water based its garbage.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Refinished HW floors for 12 years. The best option is a purpose built floor sander which can be rented but understand they are no joke and can quickly ruin a floor if you are not careful. For a pro quality finish and depending on how difficult the existing finish id to remove you should start with an 80-100 grit drum or disc than 100-150 with very light pressure. if you plan on staining the floor going any smoother than this will start to seal the pores of the wood producing a blotchy finish. The edges can be done with a floor edger very carefully. The final finish is only as good as the work and prep done prior to it. Sanding between top coats and going over the floor with a tack rag is also needed for a nice finish.
A satin finish does tend to show less wear but is also intrinsically softer than a gloss finish so it wears more easily.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
IMO I have done a few floors - let the weather break so you can open windows. use a mask and go with the best quality urethane you can get. Dont waste your money on the water based ones. I do the satin as well - I like the look better than the high gloss.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
IMO I have done a few floors - let the weather break so you can open windows. use a mask and go with the best quality urethane you can get. Dont waste your money on the water based ones. I do the satin as well - I like the look better than the high gloss.

Will definitely wait for a few days where I can keep my windows open. Going to have to move all my furniture, birds etc to the basement/upstairs for a week or two.

Going to use the best stuff, I want the finish to last as long as possible especially with my dog running around all day. I'll have to see what finish the wife wants, pretty sure its going to be high gloss.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Will definitely wait for a few days where I can keep my windows open. Going to have to move all my furniture, birds etc to the basement/upstairs for a week or two.

Going to use the best stuff, I want the finish to last as long as possible especially with my dog running around all day. I'll have to see what finish the wife wants, pretty sure its going to be high gloss.

i think you will regret high gloss with a dog running around, it will show the slightest scratches.
i used minwax fast drying [not really that fast] satin with my lab running around. did it 10yrs ago and still looking good.
tell your wife they only make one finish, that being satin. LOL

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
i think you will regret high gloss with a dog running around, it will show the slightest scratches.
i used minwax fast drying [not really that fast] satin with my lab running around. did it 10yrs ago and still looking good.
tell your wife they only make one finish, that being satin. LOL

Satin it is! She won't like scratches, I know that for sure.

Can't wait to get started on this. Have some repairs to do on the ceiling before i get started on the floors. Old house issues...

Marek-S

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Satin is a best choice in my opinion too
As far as water base , some say is garbage - the only one I would recomand is "Bona" - pricey but quick dry , less odor , you could do two coats in one day - although you'll need at least three --- anyway good luck with the project :)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Kris, stop by any commercial flooring store and get yourself this water based poly. http://www.basiccoatings.com/Products/Pages/Product.aspx. There are 3 stores in greenpoint if you want. Just tell them what your doing and they will give you the right product.

This is what everyone uses now, is water based and has for the most part the same durability gloss or satin. Produces a much better finish and quality than anything you can pick up in home depot last i checked. Its a little pricy but they have cheaper versions. IMO get their top of the line and spend the extra 20-60$ depending on how much you need. You can pick up 2 applicators for it at the same time.

Pour some on the floor and mop it on going with the layout of the flooring, nice and easy and make sure there isn't a draft. You want the poly to have enough time to release any bubbles before it dries and so the ply evens out and removes any streaks.

Make sure you do 2 coats, sanding in between.

Hockeynut

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey kris, I also used a water based poly on my floors with a sheep wool mop I also got my poly at a flooring supply and it has been down for about 4 years and still looks great it was satin finish and I have two dogs a pointer and a beagle. Tosiek is right don't let it dry to fast it won't have enough time to level out. No fans

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: