Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Kathy -- thank you so much.

The pic was as much for me as for everyone - it was such a great dive! And such a cute fish! Look at those eyes!!!

I just came inside from a short walk (kids to the carpool) and the air is... well, kind of like Jerusalem in the winter. Damp but hopeful... I think that's kind of how I feel right now - damp (gotta shake that off) but hopeful.... truly.

I was asleep sometime around 2:10 a.m. and forget about dreams, good, bad, anxious or otherwise. Up at 6 or so (okay, 6:30 today) to get the kids out - but I managed to exercise while they were getting dressed -- if today is the first day of the rest of my life, you can BET that's gonna get tucked in there!!!!

Everyone - thank you. This has been grueling. I teach Hebrew School, and there was class yesterday and I had to go - so I went, but it was model seder, so I sat in the lobby of the synagogue with my laptop working, there only to welcome students, parents and our guests from a nearby church...

So one of my students comes up to me (btw, I have close relationships with most of my students - they come to my home from time to time w/ or w/o parents for classes here, we are on first-name basis...) So one 4th grader comes over and says, "what's that?"
" A big paper I'm writing."
"Oh? How long is it?"
" well, about 70 pages now."

she thinks for a moment then she says... "wow. that must have taken you all day!"

I smiled broadly at her, put my hand on hers and said "well, a little more than that." and started to think - I began this work in September. For a few months, I worked maybe 8 hours a week on it. Then for a few months, it was maybe 12 hours a week, but for the last three months, it's been closer to 30 hours a week, and for the past four weeks, it's been much closer to 40. It has been all I've done, it feels like.

And the truth is, I need to go re-read it to make sure what I sent to my advisor last night wasn't absolute gibberish!

-daisy

hey, you guys are all going to find out at the frag swap that this is not my real name... hmmm..... funny. I wonder if i'll change my name over my avitar?.... Probably not.

Daisy was my first yellow tang. Oy, I loved that fish.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Starting over

It's been a really, really long time since I've been here.

Since I posted this post in particular, it's been a REALLY long time. 12 years. I live half a country away (Kansas), and my masters theses have both paid off. I have a great job, and I've just bought a house for myself and my daughters. I have a tank I have only dreamed of just starting up.

I can't believe I'm doing it so far from my MR friends.

I can't believe I set it up without Kathy's help.

But now that it's up and running, I'll find my way back here to share my successes and to seek support when the tank gremlins creep up.

It's good to be back - looking forward to "seeing" my friends!

-Tahl
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Hey Tahl,
welcome home, long time no ‘see’!
Glad to hear that things are going well for you and family, couldn’t happen to a nicer person.

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!