Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
We just bought our house back in June in Medford, we love it here. We are almost yapank. Love the location love area. Taxes ate a little high. I pay 9,800 a year. But I have a pretty new house and it's big with a lot if land. I hear the schools aren't to bad but If that us such a big concern send them to private school. When we were looking into buying we looked into the patchogue area as well. Found some really cute areas out there as well. I would not buy in brentwood. Very hard to resell a house out there. Selden, centereach, lake grove, farmingville are all pretty ok areas as well. Taxes aren't to bad in these areas. Good luck with your search. :)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Check out lindenhurst I bought a house here about a year ago .sold my condo in bayside and bought a house .taxes are reasonable and pretty good school distract .ur get a lot for ur money
Thanks bro I was going to look over there also. My boy's parents bought a house pretty cheap out there it was years ago though not sure what they paid but the house isn't very big. They are on birrs ave.
I don't know how to quote everyone so I'm going to have to do it individually I guess lol

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
James..thanks that's actually where I have been looking..spending most of my hours on the hunt LOL

@fishman thanks I'll check those areas out too.

@ stargazr thanks I'll look into that area also ..I'd like to stay as close to queens as possible so I'll be looking at a map after I finish responding to everyone LOL. I'd also like to keep my taxes as low as possible definitely under 5k to start and then the star will help in that area. I just refuse to pay ridiculous amounts of money for no reason. 10 grand in taxes makes me cringe.

@jerl..get the the info how much are they? or just pm me your street and i'll find them.

@Janine yea I think I'm just going to avoid the area regardless of there may be soem good or ok parts the school is def more important.

star I'm looking int ofha the only problem with that is the damn mortgage insurance they make you pay which is 1% of the loan at closing plus a few bucks a month I think in my case my mortgage guy was saying about 200 a month. I might just go with a conventional loan it comes out much cheaper with no mortgage insurance. I'm sure you know all about this but I'm just saying in general and it's basically a crock of crap it's pretty much extra interest for the 1st 5 years.

to everyone else on page 1 thanks a lot and I will look into everything.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
the 1% at closing is called points. you will pay points on any FHA or SONY MAE loan. ( my first house was sony mae)
sometimes even pay points for a lower percentage rate or for a broker fee.

However u should call around. i never heard of paying PMI with 20% or more down. (JMO)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
my mortgage guy said that the 1% of the loan at closing was just a premium they make you pay for the mortgage insurance it was also listed as that on my good faith estimate when he plugged in all the #'s and calculated closing costs etc.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
my mortgage guy said that the 1% of the loan at closing was just a premium they make you pay for the mortgage insurance it was also listed as that on my good faith estimate when he plugged in all the #'s and calculated closing costs etc.

No way man. Mortgage insurance is not required and not charged if you put 20% down. What you might have seen on the GFE was Homeowners Insurance, not Mortgage Insurance.

Was a mortgage broker for 15 years. Things like that haven't changed in decades.

Russ

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
He said it was because it's an fha loan that they require it..I think the fha loan is a fairly new thing? I don't really know much about this stuff. I'm learning lol. Homeowners/hazard insurance was on there too. I'm going to look more into this,this is why I'm asking. I'm also planning on going to other banks to see what they say as well as speak to an attorney.

Thanks Russ

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
yeah trig.pm me and i can tell you where to stay away from.i love lindenhurst and i love the schools here.the train is 1/4 mile away we have good beaches and great ball fields.the parks are nice and you are 5 min drive to whatever you would want.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Taxes are high in LI and Suffolk compared to to the 5boros . But the plus is the school system is 100x better then the 5 boros thats why taxes are higher . I pay $700 quartly for property taxs here in queens in LI or suffolk you will pay dubble that.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
sure the taxes are higher in LI but look at it from another perspective.if i was to buy a house in the 5 boros id be paying 3 thousand a year for property tax and another 3 thousand a year in city tax.in LI there is no city tax so im really paying maybe 2 grand a year more in taxes living in a wonderful community and great schools

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: