TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
As a lot of you know I have been going through some drama w/ my landlord. This crap inspired me to just buy a house LOL. :lol_large I'm looking in LI probably going to be in Suffolk hopefully a property where I don't have to pay 10 grand in taxes. It's crazy out there! I just wanted some insight on what areas are good since I don't know much about the areas out there.

I have been looking in the brentwood,medford ,patchogue and bay shore areas. Brentwood has some good deals but I hear mixed reviews. I have a little boy who is going to be 3 in May so school districts are also a concern. I know there is quite a few members from li so any insight would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks!

P.S. This summer I will definitely be having a big bbq for all my MR people!

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you want to come out this way its not bad. Rocky pt and Miller Place school districts are nice. You want to stay away from Miller Place town cause of the taxes but Sound Beach and Rocky point arent that bad. Plus, we are 2 mins from the beach lol. Good luck finding a place man! Def look at schools cause there are some crappy schools on the island

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
On Long Island you ask yourself how much you want to spend, than you pick the area that fits your budget Lol. I'm in Kings Park and LOVE it. Great Schools (If you have or plan on having kids this is VERY important) and low to average taxes. Fort Salonga, St. James, Smithtown on the North shore are nice. I grew up part in Holbrook and than moved to Smithtown.

I feel bad for those trying to buy a house right now. We bought ours 5 years ago. 3% down and 5.2% fixed for 20 years. I'm happy right now.

Now analysts say banks won't look at you unless your credit score is north of 720 and your putting 20-30% down. And the banks want that in cash. Real nice. We bail them out and than they rob us some more...

Good luck in your hunt!

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
i love my town of middle island
wait the 2 house for sale on my block too
check it out
and my taxes are only 3700 a year :shhh:\
check it out that would make 4 reefers on the same block ha ha ha

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i love my town of middle island
wait the 2 house for sale on my block too
check it out
and my taxes are only 3700 a year :shhh:\
check it out that would make 4 reefers on the same block ha ha ha

Holy crap jerl your taxes only 3700?! Mine is 5400 with the star and I'm directly across the street from you! LOL. Wait we have a 3rd reefer on our block?

To OP, you can probably qualify for FHA mortgage if you are a first time home buyer like me, 3.5% down and I got locked in at 4.6% for 30yr.

Last edited:

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
You def need to be aware of the school districts lest you have to send your boy to priv school. North shore district, Huntington harbor fields district, Jericho, garden city, etc all have great schools. Shopping by taxes will take more time and research. Stay away from Gc if you wNt under 10k taxes. North shore can be good, look for houses in sea cliff, glen head or glenwood landing
I don't know much about Suffolk properties sorry. Good luck and happy hunting.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
ha ha i am the cheapist ont he block for sure it was the talk of the block for months after a moved in ha ha
oh ya 3 sorry reefers on the block
Holy crap jerl your taxes only 3700?! Mine is 5400 with the star and I'm directly across the street from you! LOL. Wait we have a 3rd reefer on our block?

To OP, you can probably qualify for FHA mortgage if you are a first time home buyer like me, 3.5% down and I got locked in at 4.6% for 30yr.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
While great schools Smithtown and Harborfields also have some of the highest taxes, I'm in Smithtown at 8700, sister in Harborfields 14K and sister in St James 12K.
Kings Park has always had a good school with low taxes but due to the state hospital (since closed), what will end up there has been up for debate for years.

One other note I have not seen mentioned is commuting, not sure where you're working but driving to the city can be brutal vs taking the train but time and costs should be factored in as well.

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
ha ha i am the cheapist ont he block for sure it was the talk of the block for months after a moved in ha ha
oh ya 3 sorry reefers on the block

Damn you! haha just kiddin

I would definitely avoid brentwood, lots of crime and drugs and the schools are terrible. Middle Island is great along with some areas of coram, ridge, medford and some areas of patchogue.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
and no 14000 dollars a year in taxes
and the school thing is i feel if your a bad parent you are going to have bad kids stay on top of them and spend the time doing there home work with them and watch who they hand out with. they can go to any school out there as long as you put the time in
jmo people so dont get upset
Damn you! haha just kiddin

I would definitely avoid brentwood, lots of crime and drugs and the schools are terrible. Middle Island is great along with some areas of coram, ridge, medford and some areas of patchogue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: