coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
I have been dosing Potassium using a dry bulk supplement and using the red sea Potassium test kit. I have noticed that neither the red sea or the Salifert test kits test for Potassium levels above 470.

How am I supposed to get levels in the 550 to 650 range without a test kit that will test for those levels?

Are other reefers diluting there samples?

Is there a consensus on whether or not the Rea Sea or Salifert test kits works better?
can you share your potassium bulk source? thanks

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
"BulkSupplements Pure Potassium Chloride Powder (1 Kilogram)
by BulkSupplements" from amazon. Costs twenty bucks. I have been dosing 30ml dry mixed in RODI water once a week (not always) expecting that to raise my K level in my 240g system about 20 ppm.

I've been dosing it for about a year and gone through most of the bag.

interesting... thank you. have you seen any noticeable changes? also, what does 30 ml of dry potassium raise level by in say 100G? is there a formula that you use? thank you for the info.

how do you test for levels over 470?

That was my question from above. Hopefully someone will chime in here.
Justin send Help!

The only thing I can think of is to dilute the seawater in my red sea test by half with RODI water. I would expect that to work. My test kit has expired and I'm wondering if I should try the salifert one instead?

I ordered a triton test and will compare my red sea results to that when the results come in.

"BulkSupplements Pure Potassium Chloride Powder (1 Kilogram)
by BulkSupplements" from amazon. Costs twenty bucks. I have been dosing 30ml dry mixed in RODI water once a week (not always) expecting that to raise my K level in my 240g system about 20 ppm.

I've been dosing it for about a year and gone through most of the bag.

Is this what you get? A kilo is $60 plus shipping?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTZFYKF/?tag=reefs04-20

interesting... thank you. have you seen any noticeable changes? also, what does 30 ml of dry potassium raise level by in say 100G? is there a formula that you use? thank you for the info.

Its hard to say what the effect has been. My SPS corals have good color, some of them are growing fast and some don't seem to grow at all.
With respect to dosing levels, here is what I found on the internet that I used to calculate my dosage. I make no claims to its accuracy so proceed with caution.

"I don't know if that works or not. Here's the math.
KCl weighs 74.5 g/mol and the potassium weighs 39.1. So KCl is (39.1 / 74.5) 52.5% potassium.
You want 10ppm in 100L. Since ppm is mg/L you want (10 * 100) 1000 mg of potassium.
1000 mg / 0.525 = 1904.7 mg.
So to get 10ppm of K in 100L of water you'd add 1.9g of KCl."

Another source said not to raise levels of potassium more than 20 ppm per day.
Good luck. Hopefully Justin will chime in here.

I have been dosing Potassium using a dry bulk supplement and using the red sea Potassium test kit. I have noticed that neither the red sea or the Salifert test kits test for Potassium levels above 470.

How am I supposed to get levels in the 550 to 650 range without a test kit that will test for those levels?

Are other reefers diluting there samples?

Is there a consensus on whether or not the Rea Sea or Salifert test kits works better?

Justin, You out there?
Anyone else have any experience maintaining high levels of Potassium and if so how are you testing for it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: