ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So i was reading a book on breeding fish and it mentioned that as the weather got warmer may, june, july, august the hatchery would anticipate ich and other parasites breaking out
Based on this info i would recommend people taking extra caution starting now
What do you guys think
And what kind of preventatives do you have

Qt
Uv
Cleaner fish or invertebrates
Chemical or natural remedies
Etc etc

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Regardless the time of year you should always take precautions and QT and all fish before you place them into you main tank. Since the majority of fish we keep come from warm waters, which are usually warm all year round, and the fish do carry parasites as it is, I'm not sure any participle month really matters.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yes in the wild and in turn if you buy fish in those months if not quarantined properly can infect your tank etc

And our tanks get warmer during the summer months even with a chiller ac etc

I agree qt is a must all year round, most people don't because of space or because there excited to have the fish in the display or because some fish are very hard to qt

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So im really thinking my theory is on point i started this thread last year around the same time as there were allot of breakouts and now im seeing many ich breakouts as well yes individuals get it randomly but to have so many have it at the same time is very curious

Seems like there is a season

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think it happens all the time, you just may not notice it as much. The thing is fish are collected from different areas through out the year, plus certain fish are very seasonal too. Both of those things could have an impact on what parasites and diseases are coming in. Also there are different strains of the same diseases/parasites from place to place, some of which are easy to kill while others are much harder and lead to larger broke outs.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah I would think they mean fish in hatcheries for introduction into the wild...like trout, bass, salmon etc. I'm no expert but I doubt aquarium fish are reproduced in tanks exposed to the elements.

From time to time you hear of issues the hatcheries have with different diseases that impact the amount of fish introduced into the rivers, streams and lakes each year.

Last edited:

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yeah I would think they mean fish in hatcheries for introduction into the wild...like trout, bass, salmon etc. I'm no expert but I doubt aquarium fish are reproduced in tanks exposed to the elements.

From time to time you hear of issues the hatcheries have with different diseases that impact the amount of fish introduced into the rivers, streams and lakes each year.

Its a clownfish breeding book forgot the name of the hatchery it was one of the first

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: