Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I have cash in hand & ready to buy something, Whats the best camera to go for? I would prefer finding one used with a warranty receipt etc..no stories.

I enjoy owning high end stuff and like to know i can get top dollar resale.

d7000?

I dont mind buying used. Don't particularly care if its nikon or cannon.

I had a d90 and loved it a few years ago

I will be shooting mainly for personal reasons but also

Furniture
Clothes/Hats For clothing line ETC

Fish/corals Aquarium related.

Budget? anywhere from 500-1200 sounds fine.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
For simplicity's sake, any of the starter camera's from canon or nikon do the job, nikon 3100/3200 or canon T2i/T3i. Unless your really into photography I wouldn't spend more than what those are going for on the body, you as a novice won't see the difference in bodies until you start spending 4k+ on bodies. If you want to upgrade the nikon D90 is a great body for 900$ or the D7000 and the T4i canon is the next upgrade on the canon line for 1200$. After that you won't see any differences until you get the 5K$ bodies. You also want to upgrade the lense when buying the body, the cheap lense they give you with the starter kit takes good pictures but its slow. The rest of your money should go into lenses. Big difference between a 300$ lense and a 1000$ lense. This is where your photo quality and ease of use really comes in when you put money into camera systems.

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
For simplicity's sake, any of the starter camera's from canon or nikon do the job, nikon 3100/3200 or canon T2i/T3i. Unless your really into photography I wouldn't spend more than what those are going for on the body, you as a novice won't see the difference in bodies until you start spending 4k+ on bodies. If you want to upgrade the nikon D90 is a great body for 900$ or the D7000 and the T4i canon is the next upgrade on the canon line for 1200$. After that you won't see any differences until you get the 5K$ bodies. You also want to upgrade the lense when buying the body, the cheap lense they give you with the starter kit takes good pictures but its slow. The rest of your money should go into lenses. Big difference between a 300$ lense and a 1000$ lense. This is where your photo quality and ease of use really comes in when you put money into camera systems.

good advice. spend a little less on the camera and just go for better lenses.
depending on budget a nice 50mm will give you nice portrait/somewhat macro without really being a macro lens. then after its really up to you if you want a true macro... an 85-105mm lens will give you some nice macro shots.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Well I know you also said that you would be taking pictures of skating... I would also recommend looking into some of the Sony cameras. While I am not much of a fan of them, they do offer a lot to the table like higher FPS as opposed to Nikon and Canon.
The only downside to them is they do not offer a broader amount of lenses. But any Minolta AF lens will work on them.

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know you also said that you would be taking pictures of skating... I would also recommend looking into some of the Sony cameras. While I am not much of a fan of them, they do offer a lot to the table like higher FPS as opposed to Nikon and Canon.
The only downside to them is they do not offer a broader amount of lenses. But any Minolta AF lens will work on them.

There's rumors that Nikon uses Sony sensors like their D7000.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/why-i-think-the-nikon-d800-uses-a-sony-sensor/

I'm still planning on getting the D600 to replace my D200 which is still great but I'd like video too.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0

I have to disagree. The D600 is not a 4k+ body and there is a big difference between the D7000 and D600. If you want a great camera go with the D3s or D4. Make things simple, just not your wallet. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: