Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
There was a place called Pet Palace. they open'd up there side fish store. I'm not to sure if you guys no this already.

But the new one is called. FISH FRENZY, me and my girlfriend are going there tomorrow to check them out i spoke to a guy named (BLACK). gonna check out there fish and corals. ill let you guys no how the store is they seem kind of friendly. they said they'll work out deals with me if i see something i like. or if i need anything they will order it for me.

I will let you guys no more detail about it tomorrow in the afternoon when i get back. the address is near the old one.

77 Fresh Pond Road in Maspeth, Queens New York 11378.

Thanks, Rob&Gab.

jay1513

Just Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I remember that place when I lived in Ridgewood Queens NY. Their prices on saltwater fish were very affordable like Max Reef now. I'm not sure what happened to them because I moved to NJ.

I'll wait for your update tomorrow

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
just gonna say a few words. not anything to bad but me and my girl went there and it sucked. there was no lights on the coral they had like 3 corals. all the crabbs and everything was over priced. they had an outbreak of some type of disease on all there fish.. it was kinda sad i mean hopfully one day they get into working order with coral. but for buyign it its a no go for me. maybe it was just a bad first impression but who knows.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I was there a few days ago and tanks were empty,I live a few blocks away from there I know the kid at the counter from the neighbor hood,he says they get shipments on the weekends and sell out fast.If it was me personally buying fish I would wait on the shipment and get it strait from the shipment I wouldnt buy a fish that been in their tanks.There is another store on freshpond going towards myrtle called paridise aquarium they used to have a decent selection of fish some coral but nothing fancy like sps,I havent been there in a wile.

vramirez209

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All aquarium stores in this area are terrible and are STRICTLY in it for cash . There not hobbyists . Only decent place I know of in queens is Kissena . But I knew someone who lost there whole tank from brooklynella after buying a fish from them .. I would stick to the stores with nothing but the best reviews .

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
All aquarium stores in this area are terrible and are STRICTLY in it for cash . There not hobbyists . Only decent place I know of in queens is Kissena . But I knew someone who lost there whole tank from brooklynella after buying a fish from them .. I would stick to the stores with nothing but the best reviews .
Which are? I don't think there is any. The problem is we are spoiled from "hobby priced corals" from other members. We walk into a store look at a tank and say "wow that's crazy I could get that for 20 bucks on MR and here it's 100" Stores have rent and bills to pay so they need to cover their overhead as well as pay for losses and no one is giving anything away. What a lot of people don't realize is when you are dealing with things that are ALIVE you are taking a risk and a lot of the time especially with fish and especially if they come from overseas you have deaths and they need to make up for those loses which is part of the reason why price fluctuates. If stores sell stuff like people sell on here they'd be out of business real fast. As a matter of fact it's partially the people on the forums who put them out of business lol. Look how many vendors that were selling stuff fairly cheap on here and paying no overhead and they couldn't even hack it in this business. There was a vendor on here who recently went out of business and he was begging me to order stuff with him because he couldn't even cover a $300 minimum order then on top of that he tried to tell me he wanted me to pay for the TWO fish he was ordering for customers because I would be getting a wholesale price and he didn't have any money. That's pretty sad LOL, that's not even a lot of money. This is a tough game and opening a fish store especially in this economy is not really a good move. I know I wouldn't do it, too much of a headache. I give respect to the guys out there hustling and trying to survive doing this that actually don't screw people,care about the livestock they sell and actually enjoy the hobby. In short all those factors are why you don't see many "good" fish stores.

krazime

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0

The one in the basement? i went there a few times to buy some frags. they have this deal buy 3 get one FREE. $10each :shhh::biggrinpa.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I can understand the aquarium being a tough business especially with fragile live stock,what I dont get is the stores dont do a good enough job of making it easier for themselves to keep the live stock alive long enough to sell. Some places you can tell by looking at the tanks the fish would not live long.. They go through all the motions to get good stock in and skimp on the housing and maintenance of these animals.When I had a fish only tank years ago I got my fish from paradise aquarium on freshpond road,I paid a good price for the fish but they were hand caught and not bombed..In the long run the fish I purchased lived for years..I just would like to see some of these stores do a better job of giving them a good tank that can keep them alive and healthy till someone buys them,they would loose a lot less for just a little extra on keeping the tanks up to par,some stores dont even have a hospital set up and a fish gets sick and can possibly kill stock that was good enough for purchase,even more money lost.Some of these stores would be really good if they kept up with the tanks, most of them have really nice stock but not healthy for experienced people to buy them.
And if I find a store I like and they do good business I buy stuff there ,I save money here and there with stuff online and in forums and such,but ill still pop in the stores to buy stuff because the people take care of you..for me sometimes its not about the cheapest possible price but going to a good store where the people are cool and helpfull and spend a few bucks.

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I know I'm opening a can of worms saying this but I bought a percula clown from fishtown-USA about 12 years ago and he is still alive till this day,in a matter of fact i bought lot of corals and fish there I shop there whenever I'm in the area.i know there has been rumors of them using copper to treat there fish for diseases,that's bullshit.i've been in there basement i seen there whole complete filtration for all the tanks.theres a guy that grew up in my neighborhood that is extremly knowledgable in the reefkeeping hobby that works and told me anyfish that dont look healthy they have a quarentine tank in the basement that is filtered on its own that they treat.and by no means possible I'm not sticking up for them or promoting the store.i never had an issue with them and even if I did they would refund me on my loss or give me store credit.i know some staff there aren't the most pleasant but I'm not putting them in my tank

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Ick-town USA ALWAYS has died or about to die fish in the tanks. I never buy fish form there
If you actually think of what a fish goes thru to get to your tank it will put better perspective into the thought you just made,to start most LFS fish and coral are caught in the wild then bagged,shipped and traveled to its destination..think of the fish and what it goes thru,theres bound to be one or more fish in that bag that was sick before it hit the stores.the people catching them see dollars in numbers ,im sure nobody is going to check every fish they caught for sickness .and if you go the other route your gonna pay out the pocket for a farm breed fish. like I said I don't buy all my fish and coral from there it's not my dedicated store.just like every other fish I bought I'll sit there and examine every fish in there tank to find the healthiest of them all and I always ask the personal to feed them before I buy anything.and whatever I purchase is quarantined for 2 or so weeks before it hits anything.nothing personal just going by experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: