I want to know 3 things:

1)I want to know what cold water(<56 degree F) macro you have that looks interesting.

2)I need some fast growing cold water(<56 degree F) macro algae that can remove nitrate. Now since they are cold water, so I believe they must be also some what deep water. If so, what light spectrum should I consider?

3)Any other natural ways to remove nitrate besides deep sand bed for my coldest tank at 46 degree F?

howze01

Advanced Reefer
I may be wrong but couldn't you just go to the beach and get whatever you see there? The water may not be 46? but it is colder than tropical and I would think that the algaes here could withstand temps that cold with some acclimation. Some of the people that collect locally may be able to help you.

As far as lighting I would think that the same lighting you would use for any other macro would work. Again, you may have to acclimate it to brighter lights but I would think that a plant is a plant. More light is better. If they truly are deepwater macros than a higher kelvin may be better. Shallower macros like 65-10k but deeper ones may like something more in the 12-14k range.

Notice that there are a lot of "I think" and "maybe" in there. Never kept deep or cold water macros so this is all just speculation. It's an interesting subject that I haven't heard of before. Keep us updated if you try it, I would love to know how it works out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: