fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
John -

Just wondering, when does the leaves on the mangroves actually start growing? I've had them for 2 months now, and the roots are growing, but the top of he mangrove looks browned out, and a little bit dried out.

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
sorry it really just depends on the particular sprout. I would say 2 months is on the longer side. What kind of light do you have on it. A strong light could hurt it a bit, especially if it is near the light and putting out a lot of heat. As long as you are building a good root structure though I wouldn't worry to much. Check the temperature by the growth tip, since it is above water the temperature will likely be different than in your tank. Also let me know how much light you got on it, and I can help you better.

Also, if you have low nutrients in the tank that will affect its growth rate. When you reply try to give me:

Nitrate level:
Magnesium Level: (Important)
Phosphate Level:
Lighting:
Distance from Light:
Temperature at tip:
How is it planted? (Floating, substrate, etc...)

Last edited:

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
My nitrates are at 5ppm - Currently don't have a phosphate kit, but I'm certain that it's not 0.

The light is pretty weak - only 13watts, on for 24 hours, and its a good 8-12 inches away from the tip of the mangroves.

Mag level is about 1200.

It is planted floating, but held in place - only the roots are submerged.

Out of the 10 mangroves, only 2 seem to have green tips, while the other 8 have brown/dried tips.

sorry it really just depends on the particular sprout. I would say 2 months is on the longer side. What kind of light do you have on it. A strong light could hurt it a bit, especially if it is near the light and putting out a lot of heat. As long as you are building a good root structure though I wouldn't worry to much. Check the temperature by the growth tip, since it is above water the temperature will likely be different than in your tank. Also let me know how much light you got on it, and I can help you better.

Also, if you have low nutrients in the tank that will affect its growth rate. When you reply try to give me:

Nitrate level:
Magnesium Level: (Important)
Phosphate Level:
Lighting:
Distance from Light:
Temperature at tip:
How is it planted? (Floating, substrate, etc...)

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
The tips being brown is not a problem. They usually turn brownish before sprouting new leaves. You can tell if they are dead if the seeds begin to shrivel. That is the test. Post a picture and I will be able to tell you how they are doing.

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
oh... just noticed you have the light on for 24 hours. Mangroves need a break, not like caulerpa. Cut it down to a more natural photocycle. There is your problem for sure. With out a period of rest they will die.

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
ive always wondered how much nutrient export such a slow growing plant can provide ? i have 5 plants but they show almost no signs of groath , yes they are alive but simply put what are the REALLY doing ?any insight or FACTS would be cool !

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Thanks John.

I'm just wondering, most of them have the browning up on the top. Will they all turn like the ones that are completely browned out?

(there's 2 on the left, and they look pretty dried out).

Also, should I start cutting the roots now, or are they too short.

Thanks for the quick response!

They all seem to be viable, except for maybe that one to the far left. I can credit you for the others in a future shipment if you want.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: