johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Okay so I have been thinking about selling rock. All the bargain rock, and even some of the "premium" rock I have seen looks like garbage. Some of it is barely alive, some of it is pretty alive, but the rock itself is in an ugly shape. Then I came across a guy who has FANTASTIC looking base rock. Sure it is not live, but it looks AWESOME. Lots of holes and crevices, stacks really well, interesting shapes the whole 9 yards. I am thinking about selling it, but I couldn't afford to do it for less than $3 a pound shipped. ($2 a pound before shipping). I know some of the ugly looking live rock goes for this. I also know some of the ugly looking base rock goes for less. (Also know that there is some really nice rock out there somewhere that is live and looks as good, but I haven't come across it). So would anybody be willing to pay this price for rock? (Not asking if you would want to buy it, but if you think it would be reasonable). My thinking is I would rather wait a few weeks for awesome looking rock to get covered in coralline, than to have ugly looking rock covered with coralline, but stay ugly for the rest of my tank's life. But what do you guys think? Is the shape of the rock even important to you? Or are you more interested in the life on it? Or the price? Honest answers are appreciated.

Here are some pics of a rock that is pretty standard for the quality our supplier has:

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Here is a picture of the pores in the rock, from an area I hammered off:

IMG_1182.JPG

Last edited:

MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Physical appearance would rank #1 on my list. Most people that I have spoken with have said that if they did it again they would just purchase dead rock rather than live. Avoid nasty pest from the start, and the fact that you typically get more for the money. I have purchased Florida base rock in the past for about $2 per lb, and it was a waste of money (boulders and very heavy/super dense). Over the last year when I did purchase rock they have been cherry picked pieces and I have spent anywhere between $2.50 and $4.00 based on size and type. A price point of $3.00 is reasonable and I would be willing to pay the price. I would pay higher for larger sizes and shape (shelf, etc...)

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
thanks mike, those kind of answers are very helpful. (nothing like getting a survey for free - I love the forums!) I wouldn't mess with the boulders either. Nothing worse than a nice coral on an ugly rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: