cfellini91

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a passion for marine life for years! I have always wanted a salt water aquarium but it has also been intimidating to me. In need of a hobby I pulled the trigger! I just bought a 24g Aquatop Reef setup. I will be getting water and rock soon! Pretty excited about it. I have been doing a lot of reading on different fish and invertebrates I would like add, what would be good for a start? I would like to start with three fish and two corals! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are always nice and being in the damsel family they're pretty hardy. I started with 2 perc clowns after cycling my tank, 3 years later they've gotten big, are fun to watch and doing very well.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
most start with damsels.. As they are hardy, they are also territorial and you most likely wont want them after a few months. Clowns are a safe bet I would say but give the tank time to cycle before just throwing fish in

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
first, welcome!
second, if you go with clowns, don't throw an anemone in the tank at the same time right away. you are best to wait 4-6 months to allow the tank to cycle and mature and stabilize. nems are very vulnerable to young tanks and swings in alk and pH
as for corals types, start with softies such as leathers, shrooms, Kenya trees, etc. they aren't as susceptible to, again, swings in parameters or dirty water (high nitrates/phosphates)

I am also a big fan of blennies or gobys as a starter fish - just make sure you have a top as they are prone to jumping, but they add a ton of character.

good luck and be patient! slow is the name in this game. add fish and corals 1/2 at a time and allow them to acclimate and for the tank to acclimate to them too. the more you add, the more waste is produced and nutrients are absorbed.

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Spartanwarrior but you don't need a nem for a clown so that would depend if you want one or not. But yes you would have to wait to get one. My vision was that I didn't want super territorial fish such as damsels to be my first fish. They would become too territorial. I got 2 perc clowns (not too territorial and are are part of the damsel family and very hardy) and added them first. Worked out great. My message is dont get damsels as a starter unless you really want them.

cfellini91

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much you guys! The tank has been up and running for about a month now. I added two Black Percula clowns last week! I added the live rock and sand almost four weeks ago and have a small clean up crew for now that consists of two snails and a hermit. I?m looking at a mushroom for my first coral next week. Here?s how it?s been turning out! These two little guys are super adorable. One night when I was rearranging the rocks I had stirred up a lot of algae and sifted the sand and the water got pretty hazy. I turned off the light and the two fish were on opposite sides of the tank and started freaking out. One was swimming to the top panicking and the other swimming in rapid circles. I turned the light on and as the murk settled they swam to each other and started playing. Then last night I came home and observed them as they played in the wave streams from the filters and wave maker. Didn?t think they be this fun.
dbf4b3ba39ff28bb7f44efdaabfc8e0b.jpg
ecdf5b781c4a34ec52374f09257b1b2c.jpg
8686b91ad40bf89174394376285c9b9c.jpg

cfellini91

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that. I have two small rocks by the glass I?ll have to move but the big guys I can get the scrapers down and passed!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: