Shannon_D

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!!! My name is Shannon and I really really really need help setting up my new tank. I recently got a 75 gallon tank as a gift and I've no idea how to start it up. I would love to have corals and a few fish... I have been researching a lot and so many people say so many different things that it's just confusing me even more!!! = ( All I know so far is that I need to cycle the tank (???) lol I would really appreciate any advice!!!

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well im sure everyone here would love to help you! dont get to scared of how many things it takes to set it up. its worth it in the end! i have two quick reccomendations for you. first listen to jrobbins podcast on setting up a new tank. very good conversation on how to do it. here is the podcast. next id read this acticle. very informing and great to know before starting the tank. ask alot of questions, thats what we are here for! and remember....research research RESEARCH! lol

Shannon_D

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im sure everyone here would love to help you! dont get to scared of how many things it takes to set it up. its worth it in the end! i have two quick reccomendations for you. first listen to jrobbins podcast on setting up a new tank. very good conversation on how to do it. here is the podcast. next id read this acticle. very informing and great to know before starting the tank. ask alot of questions, thats what we are here for! and remember....research research RESEARCH! lol
Ty soooo much!!! :) I am so excited about setting it up but I just could not really find useful, consistent information

Shannon_D

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well so far I have incandescent lighting because I got the tank from my dad who keeps freshwater fishes and he recently upgraded to a bigger tank... but he knows I want to keep a saltwater aquarium so he said he would get me the lighting I need.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
but he knows I want to keep a saltwater aquarium so he said he would get me the lighting I need.

Nice! hit him up for an LED system. :tongue: But seriously, a nice 6-8 bulb t-5 fixture or metal halides would be nice and probably in a good price range. Keep your eye on the for sale boards, there are always good deals there.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
depending on what corals you like i would try to stick as simple as possible. power compacts or t-5s. say away from leds. vhos or metal hal. for now. alot higher price range expecially if you dont know to much yet and just starting. your not going to want to go blow all your money on something like that. i see 48inch 4 bulb power compact or t-5s going from 100-200 all the time on here. your not going to need anything more then 4 bulb. i dont think your going to want to just jump right into hard corals that require high lighting and pricy prices. for your filter set up find a cheap sump or wet/dry. people sell them used alot on here to or can make you one. very simple process. if you need help piping your set up im sure someone on here would not mind helping you. for a skimmer i would also look used. go with a nice aqua c, coralife,octopus...something simple. live rock at a lfs is going to be alot so might as well buy from a mr member for alot cheaper and peobably nicer. for salt just stick with maybe reef crystals or an easy salt to get at any lfs. you got sand already which is good. nice 2-3 inch sand bed would be good. once you get everything up and running you will then play the waiting game. during that time you can do somemore research on here and learn everything you will need to learn. but like i said before at least listen to jrobbins pod cast because that one explains what you should and should not do for a new saltwater owner. dont go out and buy the biggest and best and waist hundreds of dollars if your not even 100% sure you enjoy or can afford the hobby yet. ask questions, take in the info. were hear to help.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yeah I thought the same thing about not wanting hard coarls when I first set up my tank don't rule them out I gurantee if you stick with the hobbey you will want to head in the sps direction in a couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
check out the tank threads and see what others are doing and using, get a rodi unit off the top to save problems down the road and get a decent test kit and refractometer, not one of the swing arm junks one's either, buy right the firt time and save money also check out the f\s forums to find some good deals

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: